Does your insurance cover diving accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if US Health Insurance does cover diving accidents I doubt it covers the $$$$ needed for an air ambulance to get you from some flyspeck island in the Pacific to a chamber. Also I suspect that chamber operators at the other side of the world would be out of network providers :D

DAN insurance is a bargain. I wouldnt dive without it.

I recently started a new job and specifically asked that question. I'm covered for health insurance, but I also have DAN. Additionally, my employer offers accidental death & dismemberment benefits. Again, diving is covered.

I bought life insurance through State Farm. My rates are ridiculously high b/c of diving...3 and times higher than non-divers I know with similar circumstances. They asked about my certs: OW, AOW, Nitrox & Rescue. Apparently Nitrox and Rescue has a really bad impact on my rate. They consider Nitrox to be high risk technical diving. And, they consider Rescue cert to mean that I'm pursuing other high risk activities as well. No amount of explanation had an imact.

State Farm is clearly ignorant about certs and has no understanding of the diving industry. Avoid them. I am in the processs of shopping for a new life insurance company.

DAN offers term life on their web page if you want to check that out for life insurance. There are a lot of other life insurance companies out there, just check their ratings to make sure they are financially strong in these economic times as many companies have been downgraded.

I bought life insurance through State Farm. My rates are ridiculously high b/c of diving...3 and times higher than non-divers I know with similar circumstances. They asked about my certs: OW, AOW, Nitrox & Rescue. Apparently Nitrox and Rescue has a really bad impact on my rate. They consider Nitrox to be high risk technical diving. And, they consider Rescue cert to mean that I'm pursuing other high risk activities as well. No amount of explanation had an imact.

State Farm is clearly ignorant about certs and has no understanding of the diving industry. Avoid them. I am in the processs of shopping for a new life insurance company.

Ouch, that is one really stupid policy on diving risks that State Farm has got. Clearly implemented by a non-diver!

My insurance covers some of this and none of that and part of such-and-such. Some doctors but not others, if it's a full moon and Leo is in Aquarius. You might even get someone on the phone between the hours of 11am and 11:15, but they won;t tell you anything, or authorize treatment. And as to doctors in a foreign country...:rofl3:

DAN is 24/7/365 anywhere in the world. They will even cover transportation costs and hotel if needed for you and your traveling partner (if 50 miles from your home). You can call them and ask diving medical questions on the phone anytime - even of you are NOT a member. And they also are the leading source of diving medical research, which they will happily share with you.

It costs, like, a couple bucks a month.

I spent a day in the chamber. DAN's service from my first phone call to their final follow-up 2 weeks later was off the chart great. They were in constant contact with the hospital and the hyperberic doctor for consult on my treatment. Without me doing anything, they paid every penny not covered by my medical insurance, without my having to do any follow-up or paperwork. My out of pocket expense for the entire event was ZERO. In fact, when I left the hospital, they gave me a free Hyperbaric t-shirt and a sippy cup. :D

Even if you are covered for dive accidents under your regular policy, a chamber might not treat you until they confirm it with your insurance company. With DAN insurance, they start treatment right away.

On Life Insurance (brand new AllState policy), my diving had a negligble impact of $10 per month.

On Health Insurance (Blue Cross), there are no exclusions for recreational diving in the policy.

However based on expereince (my wife has some significant health issue, so we had plenty of experience) the insurance companies will nickel and dime you to no end. Their nickels and dimes have lots of zeros, so these can really hurt. An example, they will only pay what THEY think is reasonable and customary charges. When you start dealing with poor commincations with forgein providers plus it ignorance of diving med by the insurance company, you are all most assured of a major screw-up.

Now for the fun part. In the US, typically if you have insurance, they treat first, then bill you. When traveling, it is often pay first, then treat. The providers are not going to deal with the insurance company, you are! You pay, then 2-3 months later you start fighting the insurance company over the screw-ups to try to collect what is due you - Good luck you will need it. They are experts at finding loopholes to deny payment and most of us are total newbs at the game.

IMO - The actual insurance $$$ paid out by DAN is probably very modest compared to the total amount of premiums they collect. By itself, I would almost consider it a rip-off similar to extended warrenties on goods. BUT... the key benefit is having experienced insurance professionals in your corner. Once there is a claim, they are very motivated to make your insurance company pay its full due since it reduces their liability. Their experience in dive med can all be to your benefit. You basically set up a situation where the 2 insurances companies can fight it out instead of your versus a single company. Better odds!

So in the end - I buy DAN - never used it - hope I never need to.

Another benefit to DAN I just heard about (sorry if this has been mentioned) is gear coverage when you travel. A DM candidate I met recently lost his gear traveling and the airline only paid $500...we all know how much replacement gear $500 would buy.

Another benefit to DAN I just heard about (sorry if this has been mentioned) is gear coverage when you travel. A DM candidate I met recently lost his gear traveling and the airline only paid $500...we all know how much replacement gear $500 would buy.

State Farn Insurance provides a way better personal property policy than DAN's. Use the search fuction and look up Dandy Dons posting. The policy I received has no exclusions except if you drop something over the side when out on a boat. I guess they figure you can dive in and go get what you dropped if your diving to began with.

Last edited:
  • Bullseye!
Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom