• I don't know

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • They still call it Devil gas !

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I do it in my garage

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did our Nitrox certification with a LDS, we were told we were scheduling a dive to use Nitrox with them, but when we showed up that day, we were given air tanks, and told to pretend it was Nitrox!

Originally posted by traveltina
We did our Nitrox certification with a LDS, we were told we were scheduling a dive to use Nitrox with them, but when we showed up that day, we were given air tanks, and told to pretend it was Nitrox!

Did they refund your money?

No - we should have just cancelled the dive at that point - but we didn't. The Nitrox certification though SDI doesn't even require that you do a dive.

Should-a, Could-a, Would-a - Oh well.

We don't use them anymore.

A diving certification without a dive? Sounds like the root cause of a problem expressed in another thread.

I voted yes. the tdi/naui technical shop (which I prefer cuz the padi shop can't get their act together) will do whatever you want. whilst the padi shop where I do my padi ( :( ) training, does not have trox. I just love it when they send the customers to the tech shop.

and besides this is north carolina, everyone that dives offshore dives nitrox (or else they have 5 minutes bottom time).

brandon

Whats wrong witha Nitrox class that doesn't include a dive. All of Nitrox training is learning the rules, MOD, pp, the gas laws, and most important to me, SDI requires as part of your training you analyze a cylinder. Learning to do that is IMHO more important than making a dive on it.

Tom

Dives associated with any of our diving certifications accomplish at least two purposes. Firstly they are the reinforcement for what ever skills were learned in the class. Since there are benifits associated with NITROX that are felt even at shallower depths the students not offered the opportunity to dive the mix are certainly not getting full value. Secondly there is the added experience gained through additional dives. Certainly some divers are experienced enough that this may e a minimal concern but I'd guess that isn't the case in point.

As an instructor and former dive shop employee I would question the value of a class that did not include dives utilizing the skills, techniques and materials taught in a class. As a student I would have to ask myself how valuable it was that the shop didn't do what was necessary to demo it properly. I guess I just think these folks got shorted, and I am not sure the air dive in replacement for a NITROX dive satisfies the minimum requirements of the training agency.

The instuctor we took the SDI Nitrox class with had us analyze a tank of Oxygen (since he didn't have any Nitrox).

Is that acceptable with SDI?

Nope - Nitrox dining isn't much of an option in the middle of Kansas.

If I could just get fills over the Internet!!

Back
Top Bottom