Dog Days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DUI is having a Dog Days event this weekend at Brownstone Quarry. Even in my little world I have run into several folks intending to travel the 4 hours or so to try out a suit.

To those of you that have gone to these events, what are the chances that you will actually get to the head of the line and be able to try what you are interested in?

Maybe these divers are like all the folks that claim to have been at Woodstock because if I extrapolate to the regional population of divers DUI has their hands full.

How do they pull it off?

Pete

Ive gone for the past few years down here. Correct me if im wrong, but there were around 200+ suits last year plus gloves, undergarmets, their bcs, weight system, and sea n sea brought a few cameras to try. You should be able to try on any of their suits, but id reccomend getting there early just in case

Welll - if you decided to go, you are most likely on the road - if not - I have worked the Demo Days at the quarry. It is EXTREMELY well organized and you WILL get to try the suit of your choice. You will select a suit type, then get fitted for seals (all seals are zip seals), receive a bit of help donning the suit and off to the water you go! Once in the water there are divers to assist you. Very well run - great operation. You will even get a certificate for something like $100 off a new suit.

It is a great event - the quarry is nice, the people are nice and there is no pressure.
Enjoy!

DUI is having a Dog Days event this weekend at Brownstone Quarry. Even in my little world I have run into several folks intending to travel the 4 hours or so to try out a suit.

To those of you that have gone to these events, what are the chances that you will actually get to the head of the line and be able to try what you are interested in?

Maybe these divers are like all the folks that claim to have been at Woodstock because if I extrapolate to the regional population of divers DUI has their hands full.

How do they pull it off?

Pete

No shortages of suits. Easy, friendly atmosphere. Really a good time. Could have done without the one really big group that all decided to make "silt angels" with their fins. Good practice for not losing buddy while folllowing DM. Drysuits ROCK! Super flexible Mares flippers SUCK!!! Like trying to fly by flapping two flyswatters. Wish the rockboots fit in my old Dacor Turbo IIIs.

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was about canine wetsuits and drysuits! Is this another case of the UK and the USA being separated by a common language? I've heard of the Dog Days of Summer, actually an expression of Latin origin, but I've never heard it used here in the UK, or on my trips to the US, for an event such as you describe.

DUI Dog Days is different from the Dog Days of Summer. Probably 99% of people in the US would not understand what DUI Dog Days are either. DOG stands for DUI Owners Group, a company specific invention and not a universal term.

When I went to a DUI demo in Tacoma, I was impressed by how well the event was run. I had no problem trying two different suits, two different undergarments, and a weight harness. No rush, no need to get there super-early, plenty of help from the staff, and a couple of hot dogs to boot! I ended up buying a different brand of drysuit, but not because there's anything wrong with DUI, or the DOG days demos. Did I forget to mention that it was fun, too? Hats off to Susan Long and all the folks involved!

How do they pull it off?

Pete

Pete, these events are very well organized. At yesterday's event at Brownstone they brought about 150 suits. The process was very well organized. I did two dives with the suits I wanted to try.

The DUI Dog days tickets are $8 in advance and include a full lunch of hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, Potato Salad, pasta salad, a variery of chips, Fritos etc and lemoade, Divers Ice Tea and water. This fee is in addition to the normal Brownstone Quarry $20 admission.

They also has an optional dinner at 6:00 pm for $8. The dinner was a fully catered dinner that included salad, chicken, sausage & pepper caserole, vegetable lasagna, potatoes and chocolate and vanilla cake for dessert. The dinner was catered by a local restaurant.

These also gave out trivia prizes after the dinner during the video presentation.

I actually talked to Susan Long (whom I had never met before) and found her very down-to-earth and straight forward. She is the president of DUI (her father founded the company).

My wife and I had a good time and the weather was excellent. We also ended up sitting with the people who run the quarry during dinner. They are very nice people.

There were people we met at the event that were from Manhattan, Albany New York and New Jersey.

I have no affiliation with DUI or Brownstone Quarry.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'd like to put out thanks to all of the divers that helped out at the Brownstone Quarry event. Everyone did a terrific job of making it a fun time.

My buddy (spouse) and I are still quite new to diving, but were eager to try going dry. I got everything I wanted out of the event: I became mightily impressed with the TLS350, and I am no longer intimidated to become certified in drysuit. One of the DMs, Lou, did a great job of putting us at ease. Jeff in the changing tent was particularly friendly.

Bythesea: Guilty as charged. :lotsalove: I am sure I kicked up more than my fair share of silt. I appreciate that everyone was patient with us newbies.

Now I can have the joy of obsessing on new equipment for a purchase next year.

-David

I'd like to put out thanks to all of the divers that helped out at the Brownstone Quarry event. Everyone did a terrific job of making it a fun time.

My buddy (spouse) and I are still quite new to diving, but were eager to try going dry. I got everything I wanted out of the event: I became mightily impressed with the TLS350, and I am no longer intimidated to become certified in drysuit. One of the DMs, Lou, did a great job of putting us at ease. Jeff in the changing tent was particularly friendly.

Bythesea: Guilty as charged. :lotsalove: I am sure I kicked up more than my fair share of silt. I appreciate that everyone was patient with us newbies.

Now I can have the joy of obsessing on new equipment for a purchase next year.

-David

Were you you by any chance the guy who brought up a crushed coke can??? If so I'm the yahoo with the Meister Brau souvenir. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom