"Doing it Right; Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine's on its way too.
Ber :bunny:

I ordered the book 3 days ago, after spending quite a while browsing through the GUE website. I also got the e-books Tech 1, and Cave 1.

I'm really looking forward to it!

Just bought the book myself. I'm a divemaster candidate, but I don't yet consider myself a 'very experienced diver' like the hoary old scar-bearing divers who pioneered the milkjug buoyancy compensator. I've made changes toward DIR slowly over my diving career, without even knowing what DIR was. Here's roughly the order:

1) After AOW certification, I noticed everyone else's gauges flapping in the current. I still rented gear, but I brought along bolt snaps to tidy myself up.

2) I realized the 'genie position' favored by most OW divers was very inefficient. I started noticing other divers kicking to counteract poor buoyancy. I discovered that swimming horizontal, head-low was gratifying for a number of reasons, including providing better buoyancy control.

3) I got tangled in some monofilament line at 50 feet (5' vis) in a quarry and learned my lessons about loose equipment, dive knives, and search and recovery. I had to make an ESA after managing to get out of my gear (my buddy, of course, was incompetent, swam away, and lost me due to the poor vis). My fins (with their quick-n-easy line-magnet plastic buckles) and my tank valve were entangled. At the time I wore a big slate and a set of (count 'em) three dive tables (PADI, Navy, and Nitrox) off a metal clip, which I tried to attach to my rented jacket-style BC, and tried to stuff into its pocket. The tables always drifted out of the pocket and floated around me, and they got tangled badly in the line. Metal-to-metal connections, of course. I thought I looked impressive to others because I carried my nifty complicated tables -- even though I never used them in a dive. Guess what else got tangled up? The pointless "retractor" I used to tie my console to my BC. I managed to slink out of the mess with nothing save my wetsuit and mask. I went to a nearby dive shop, and found an instructor to help me recover the gear.

4) I took PADI Rescue, then NACD Cavern, and really learned a great deal of useful things in both. I learned about equipment placement, streamlining, and DIR philosophy for the FIRST TIME (though I had 100 logged dives).

5) I graduated college, got a job, and bought a nice new DiveRite backplate/wings setup and the (excellent) ScubaPro MK16/S550. I read pretty much everything the internet had to say about DIR and technical diving. As much as it initially pained me to do it, I took the boot off my SPG and added a necklace to my backup reg. I'm still a 'student' of DIR, but every dive and gear upgrade I make brings me closer to being a bona fide DIR diver.

DIR is certainly not the last word in diving, but it's close. Despite the 'holistic' mentality of DIR divers, I do believe one can adopt "subsystems" of the DIR system and use them independently -- for example, the gauge subsystem is independent from the lights subsystem. Either subsystem alone is better than nothing. At the least, DIR challenges divers to think critically about themselves and about their equipment -- an endeavor from which everyone stands to gain. This book is pamphlet compared to a PADI dive manual, but provokes a great deal more thought.

- Warren

Beyond certification course manuals, there are only a couple of "must have" books for divers:

:grad: NOAA Diving Manual
:grad: Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

If you seek to be more than a WWW, then the list grows (much) longer but EVERYONE should own these two books. IMNSHO

Warren,

I'll add my welcome also! I'm glad you made it out of your gear to post here!!

You're one of the few that I have seen that has moved to the equipment configuration without assistance. Seems like you've got a keen sense of what works best.

Dive safe,

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom