Dolphin usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can safely say that the information i had gathered or though to have understood is wrong, thankyou for proving me wrong[no sarcasm]. They say you learn a lot more fom your mistakes than you do getting things right. I knew that dolphins were carniforous however, i thought that it basically meant killing to eat. which dolphins do as a small matter.

So the incidents with the bottlenoses in UK waters, was this all fun and games like orca and seals? to some extent.

Starstruck*:
So the incidents with the bottlenoses in UK waters, was this all fun and games like orca and seals? to some extent.
Are you saying that Orcas and seals "play"? You mean like great whites and sea lions?

minamin13:
Although I am more likely to side with the Navy on this one, admittedly I have my doubts. Putting aside dpbishop's claims about his father's work in this field, I've been told by a marine mammal friend of mine that knew a research diver (who I've met) who discussed the .45 caliber dolphin "bang stick" work in the 1970's. And following the partial debunking of the LOFAR sonar study sponsored by the Navy, I no longer take everything reported by them as the last word. I know the technology and skillsets to implement this sort of work was possible over thirty years ago. It may have tanked practically, but the initial studies could very easily been attempted. The marine mammal research programs in the 1960's and early 1970's were pretty wacky. There was far less marine mammal regulation and oversight back then. Heck, the Navy even had a killer whale at one point, trained for deepwater recovery. The trained pilot whale was better at it, however.:D

If this dolphin-assassin thing is an urban legend, it's a very good one. Although I'm quite certain that such research doesn't exist today. I think the only dolphins kept by the Navy now are the bunch used by Mine Warfare crowd based out of San Diego. I've seen those critters when they came to Texas in 1998 for simulated missions. They're the friendliest dolphins I've ever seen.

In World War II, Russians trained dogs to run under tanks. During the Battle of Kursk, anti-tank mines were placed on the dogs' backs. The dogs, scared by the sounds of the battle, promptly ran under the nearest tanks. They just so happened to be Russian tanks.

This is why animals don't make good weapons.

fishb0y:
Are you saying that Orcas and seals "play"? You mean like great whites and sea lions?

I don't know how great whites play with sea lions, my interpretation of a great white was that upon contact with its victim it became quick dinner - no time for fun and games but i could be wrong. What i mean was that Orcas play with the seals...but the seals dont want to play with the orca - they go up to the beach get a pup, take it into deep water a mile out or so and launch it in the air via their mouths, when it tries to escape they chase it and do the same again, with it being so far out to sea and the speed of orca it can't escape. They keep doing this until the pup is motionless and dead.

Starstruck*:
What i mean was that Orcas play with the seals...but the seals dont want to play with the orca
I guess you missed my point... an orca HUNTS seals and seals run away from the predator. I don't think you should be giving them human emotions, they are animals.

fishb0y:
I guess you missed my point... an orca HUNTS seals and seals run away from the predator. I don't think you should be giving them human emotions, they are animals.
Aren't we animals too? It's been filmed many times that an orca will "toy" with a seal instead of quickly killing it and eating it. Sometimes they will pass it off to another one and let them throw it around for awhile.

swankenstein:
Aren't we animals too? It's been filmed many times that an orca will "toy" with a seal instead of quickly killing it and eating it. Sometimes they will pass it off to another one and let them throw it around for awhile.
They will eventually eat it. People have a tendency to humanise animals to make certain aspects of their lives more palatable. I am not saying orcas are not intelligent, I am saying that they hunt, not go out looking for a play friend.

Starstruck*:
I don't know how great whites play with sea lions, my interpretation of a great white was that upon contact with its victim it became quick dinner - no time for fun and games but i could be wrong. What i mean was that Orcas play with the seals...but the seals dont want to play with the orca - they go up to the beach get a pup, take it into deep water a mile out or so and launch it in the air via their mouths, when it tries to escape they chase it and do the same again, with it being so far out to sea and the speed of orca it can't escape. They keep doing this until the pup is motionless and dead.

They're not playing with the seal lions, they're tenderizing them.

swankenstein:

Thanks for putting it in more understandable words, that is what i meant. And the "playing" part was an abbreviation, not literaly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom