Dolphins and Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With all the talk of sharks and attacks I wonder if anyone ever thinks of dolphins or whales as a threat while diving.

While I was in Mexico I got a chance to encounter a pod of spotted dolphins. I never thought about just how big and how fast they are until then.

I got to thinking that if they wanted to they could do a good job on a diver and put a real hurting on you in a hury if they wanted to. So I wonder has any one ever had a bad experiance with either a dolphin or a whale?

I have heard that if there are killer whales about you should get out of the water. Even though they are friendly at sea-world, they can potentally be dangerous in the wild.

I've also heard rumors of people being killed by dolphins, but I kind of doubt it.

video of a Pilot whale I believe grabbing a woman by the leg and taking her down to around forty feet. She was snorkling.

Yeah I saw that video too...but I think she swam right into the middle of the pod and the male (I think) might have perceived either as threat (there were some pups around I think) or that he was really bored and decided to play. Guess sometimes they just don't realise how much bigger they are, how much more comfortable they are in the water and most importantly how much longer they can hold they breath underwater :)
Sillago

Ok I didn't have a bad experience with dolphins, I just wanted to share my first experience with them!!
I have just returned from the Red Sea where I broke my dolphin cherry, so to speak.
It was one of those moments where we were just about to leave one site for another, when the bell was rung and we all ended up jumping off the back of the boat in our snorkels. I have never swum so fast in an attempt to keep up! It was a truly fantastic experience as they swam away, and then returned to have a curious little look. I could almost feel their clicks through the water. We swam with them for some distance, however once they had discovered that we were not quite as acrobatic as them, nor could we click a reply to them, they got bored and were off. A wonderful experience cut all too short.

jbd once bubbled...
video of a Pilot whale I believe grabbing a woman by the leg and taking her down to around forty feet. She was snorkling.
I've seen that footage as well, I believe there was a calf involved and the whales were feeling harassed - the woman was trying to dive down and touch them etc.

Back
Top Bottom