Dominica advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
We are considering a trip to Dominica and need some advice. What is a good dive resort on the island. From the maps I see, there are not a lot of different dive sites, how many days should we spend diving without repeating the same sites?
Thanks,
Doogie

We Stayed at the Ft. Young Hotel twice and the drove to Nature Island Dive for the diving in Soufriere. There are plenty of dive sites and good variety- wall- garden reef- seamounts. The only issue is that the site you set out to dive might have current that day so they will take you to another. Dominca is the prettiest Island I have been to in the Caribbean and the best diving. I would go back there anytime. Other Dive hotels are Castle Comfort and Ancorage. Ft. Young is the nicest of them. You can see my Dominica gallery at Karen Neptune's Photos

As Karen (Rescue Diver68) just said Ft. Young is the nicest hotel on Dominica near the dive spots. BTW Karen gave us great advice before our trip - thanks again Karen. And Nature Island Dive is the best dive op though it is a 20+ minute drive from Ft. Young. Some people will swear by the dive op that Ft. Young uses, Dive Dominica, but you will likely have 12+ divers on the boat compared to less at Nature Island Dive. "Resort" should be applied loosely for any place in Dominica. The tourist infrastructure is not built up as other islands. But that is its charm. It is still the most unspoiled of the islands. The diving is great and the interior rainforest is fantastic. We dove both the north and south (18 dives total) over two weeks to get variety. Next time I would only dive the south because it's much better. We loved the variety down south: mini walls that plunge vertical down to 100 fsw, deeper walls that go down to 400fsw, and our favorite sites were the pinnacle dives where you start about 80 fsw down and do a multilevel 360 around the pinnacle up to a flat reef around 30 ft for the safety stop. You won't see much in the way of larger fish but will see tons of spotted drums, spotted eels, peacock flounder, etc. I would love to go back to Dominica for both for the diving and the interior rainforest. As a comparison I have no interest in going back to Grand Cayman, our first dive trip after Dominica.

You can see more about our Dominica trip including lots of underwater and topside photos at:

Diverrex.com

The other thing that I think is worth mentioning. Don't be afraid to stop at the little roadside eateries in Rosseau and Soufriere and the road to Soufriere. The chicken and fried fish is fresh and fantastic.

We stayed at the Fort Young Hotel in January of this year. Definitely the nicest place on the island. We did three days of diving and two days of canyoning with Extreme Dominica. I never got bored of the diving although its mostly smaller stuff. If you are an active vacationer you should definitely check out canyoning! Make sure you bring a waterproof camera. I second the advice for the roadside chicken. I can still taste it!

I'll second cayoning with Extreme Dominica. It was one of the more fun things we've ever done on a trip. We only did one day, next trip I would plan on doing it two days. It was a blast!

We are considering a trip to Dominica and need some advice. What is a good dive resort on the island. From the maps I see, there are not a lot of different dive sites, how many days should we spend diving without repeating the same sites?
Thanks,
Doogie
Dear Doogie,

There are alot of dive sites here in Dominica and you can easily come to Dominica for ten day and go to different dive sites each day. Please copntact our tour and taxi desk at eddietours2001@yahoo.com for more details.

Sincerely
Eddie

Dear Doogie,

There are alot of dive sites here in Dominica and you can easily come to Dominica for ten day and go to different dive sites each day. Please copntact our tour and taxi desk at eddietours2001@yahoo.com for more details.

Sincerely
Eddie

Which dive operator do you book your clients with?

Dominica rocks, the best of all the islands I've been too so far ( in the Carib. ). If it wouldn't be for two active volcanoes, I'd live there in a heart beat.

We were in Dominica in Feb/Mar of this year and also 5 years ago. First trip was at Castle Comfort/Dive Dominica. WE had a great time and the dive op was very good.

This time we mosly spent time in the rainforest going to as many waterfalls as we could and enjoying this amazing island.

We dove with Al dive in the south - I recommend them. and Carbits in the north - they were OK.

The south sites have many pinnacles and very interesting. The north had better corals and that was nice to see. No Lionfish around the island - so far.

If you want, in our opinion, the nicest, most relaxing and enjoyable place to stay in Dominica - it's Beau Rive (Beau Rive - Escape For Real) on the Atlantic. I guarantee that you will be amazed!!! We stayed there, rented a 4 wheel drive and had a great time. The roads in the north are much better than the southern roads - but try to get to the Atlantic coast - much better than the east coast (rivers, waterfalls, roads, rainforest, friendly people, safe.......).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom