Dominica,anyone…?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Traveling to little Dominica next month,and finding scant information regarding scuba ops and general “getting around“ info on the Internet. I have booked my flights,and a hotel in Portsmouth,but little else. Anyone with a current trip report would be very helpful to me in my planning endeavors. Hopefully my choice of this destination will not disappoint.

Traveling to little Dominica next month,and finding scant information regarding scuba ops and general “getting around“ info on the Internet. I have booked my flights,and a hotel in Portsmouth,but little else. Anyone with a current trip report would be very helpful to me in my planning endeavors. Hopefully my choice of this destination will not disappoint.
I just returned from there, but I stayed at the Fort Young, which uses Dive Dominica. All our dives but one were on the south. You'll be in the north. It is a beautiful island with some very good diving that is interesting topography, very fishy, quite diverse.

I can only share some old links with content that's dated, but some of which might be of use. I haven't been. How long should it take you to get there and back? Do you plan to do any topside rainforest hikes or similar? It surprises me we hear more about Saba than Dominica on SB, when Dominica is so much larger, and both are known for a lush rainforest topside.

Dominica…everything I should know but don’t - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...minica-everything-i-should-know-but-dont.html
I was surprised by how nice the diving was in Dominica. Excellent! - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/le...rised-how-nice-diving-dominica-excellent.html
Dominica Recommendations? - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/494111-dominica-recommendations.html

You can now get to Dominica on AA flights direct from Miami. That is a huge advantage over many other lesser-known islands.

I’ve been twice but not recently. Once before hurricane Maria and once afterwards; before Maria was probably the best diving I’ve ever done. Maria absolutely devastated everything.

The op we used the first time was sadly totally wiped out and is no longer in business but we used Simon at Nature Island Dive after Maria for some dives in the south and would highly recommend them. Thrilled to hear AA now has direct flights, will definitely be looking into that. Be sure and post a trip report when you return!

Yes, taking the direct flight to Dominica,then the 1-hour trek from the international airport to Portsmouth,rather than 90 minutes South to Roseau. Decided against the Ft. Young Hotel and the adjacent cruise ships traffic.

I’ve been twice but not recently. Once before hurricane Maria and once afterwards; before Maria was probably the best diving I’ve ever done. Maria absolutely devastated everything.

The op we used the first time was sadly totally wiped out and is no longer in business but we used Simon at Nature Island Dive after Maria for some dives in the south and would highly recommend them. Thrilled to hear AA now has direct flights, will definitely be looking into that. Be sure and post a trip report when you return!
Thanks for your reply. Hoping for some more timely info regarding current conditions…

Yes, taking the direct flight to Dominica,then the 1-hour trek from the international airport to Portsmouth,rather than 90 minutes South to Roseau. Decided against the Ft. Young Hotel and the adjacent cruise ships traffic.
Not sure where you got your info. It was 1 hour to the Fort Young from the airport, and no cruise ships (they are winter only).

Back
Top Bottom