Dominica Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timmyk

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning our first trip to Dominica...Can some experienced Dominica divers answer a few questions?

-We hear the wet season starts around July. Is the weather much different from the end of June to early July?
-Many reviews say the diving is better around Roseau compared to Portsmouth. How is it better?
-How are the bugs? We see mosquito nets in the pictures of the rooms on websites. Our son (17) tends to get bitten.
-We plan to do lots of hiking and exploring when we're not diving. To explore, is it better to be based in Roseau or Portsmouth?
-Is the weather any nicer in Roseau compared to Portsmouth?

You ask difficult questions. I've been visiting Dominica for about 14 years, and have done extensive research into its history and nature.

I've stayed all over the island, and do more rainforest and nature exploration than diving, though I at least snorkel every day. I'll be there for most of this coming April, renting a private house a few miles outside Roseau. I also rent a 4wd vehicle (a small Suzuki) for the entire time I'm there, picking it up at Melville Hall airport when I arrive and dropping it off there when I leave. I don't suggest driving there unless you are ready for some of the most daunting, steep corkscrew roads in the world, and driving on the left on very narrow roads often hacked out of a sheer mountainside. Having your own vehicle is the best way to really see the island, which is almost supernaturally beautiful in a sometimes dark brooding way.

The weather there is completely unpredictable. It can (and does) rain almost anytime, almost always briefly. you can feel and smell the ground and the lush vegetation inhaling it, and glistening in 100 shades of green afterward. Jan-March are the driest months, but I've experienced torrential downpours every month I've been there, including the dry months. I didn't mind at all. Very often the sun continues to shine while it's raining. Sometimes you get these strange misty rains, almost like God was misting his garden through multiple simultaneous rainbows.

It rains a lot in Dominica, more in the June to November period than other times, but there is not a huge difference, except for mid summer/early fall when it rains quite a bit. But that's when the mangos and other delights come into season, in places covering the ground. In places where they grow wild you can just pick them up and eat them.

For that and other reasons June is my favorite month on Dominica. The reefs are alive with baby fishes, the high forests echo to the cries of young fledgling parrots, and the island itself seems to be pulsating with life. June can be wet. So can July. So can April and May. It's different every year, even every week.

Dominica is a rainy island. The landscape is more vertical than horizontal, and the seemingly countless mountains draw in the rain clouds. In rains MUCH more in the interior than along the coast, literally 5 or 6 times as much. That's why they still have a rain forest big enough and dense enough to get lost and die in. From the air it looks like the island is one big forest, and that's not far from the truth.

Diving in the extreme south is better. The giant crater that constitutes the Caribbean side in the south is amazing. Mid island diving on the patch reefs is great fun, though not 'high voltage' like the south. The north is less exciting unless you go way offshore, which can be dangerous unless you are a highly experienced expert diver. Dominica is not a coral island. No long sandy beaches. The mountains plunge straight into the sea, resulting in depths of several hundred feet only a few hundred yards off the shore in some places. That's what brings the big whales in.

Stay on the Caribbean side. Less rain, calm seas. The Atlantic side currents can drown you in a trice. That's why the Caribs built their final refuges there. Boats can't land easily, if at all.

There are mosquitos in the summer, but they are not as bad as on most other islands. There are fewer than here in NJ in summer, so I can't say there is a serious bug problem. But there are also lightening bugs the size of small birds and big beautiful beetles to counterbalance the mosquitos, which are not that bad. Bring deet. I don't use the nets at all. they are there because few rooms have screens in the windows, to catch the tradewinds.

There is excellent hiking all over the island. Everywhere. There are only about 70,000 residents on the entire island. Just north and east of Portsmouth is some magnificent country.

Roseau has somewhat better weather than Portsmouth, which can get rather windy too.

Dominica requires that you have an intrepid spirit, especially if you go off on your own. I'm 71, and I do all my own driving, exploring, and hiking because I know the place like a second home. It's not a place for those who need to be taken care of, or looked after. Except for the horrible boatloads of cruise ship one-day visitors there are very few tourists there. Very few. The place is not really set up for tourists, except around the cruise ship dock in Roseau, which I'd stay away from. People are pleasant, but they are mostly independent of tourist concerns. You have to find your own way. Guides are available, though, and probably worthwhile, especially if you don't have your own transportation and a tough adventurous attitude.

I really love the place, but it is not for everyone. The island demands a lot from you. It gives a lot back, but never on a silver platter.

We're planning our first trip to Dominica...Can some experienced Dominica divers answer a few questions?

-We hear the wet season starts around July. Is the weather much different from the end of June to early July?
-Many reviews say the diving is better around Roseau compared to Portsmouth. How is it better?
-How are the bugs? We see mosquito nets in the pictures of the rooms on websites. Our son (17) tends to get bitten.
-We plan to do lots of hiking and exploring when we're not diving. To explore, is it better to be based in Roseau or Portsmouth?
-Is the weather any nicer in Roseau compared to Portsmouth?

My opinions........

(1)we were there in mid July '09---stayed @ Castle Comfort just south of Roseau, weather was perfect...just a few very light showers during the day several times....never stopped us from doing anything, from boat diving each morning--to each afternoon 'sight seeing' trips ie topside activities(did Screws one nite)--to evening/nite dives 4 or 5 times during the week..
(2)We dove south of Roseau toward Soufriere--EXCELLENT diving, IMO the best in the Caribbean...
(3)Experienced zero bugs in Dominica--none @ all...NEVER used any bug spray the entire week there etc..
(4) have no idea about Portsmouth vs Roseau.......

See my pics/videos(click below link) for our experiences------all albums(total of 10) from there have Dominica in their Album titles listed on the left side of the page.....good luck...

GEAUXtiger's Library | Photobucket

EDIT-------& correct on the rainfall(just read some of the 1st response you got)...We were told the rain forests get 300+ inches of rain yearly.....

I can see that you really love Dominica...thanks for the reply. It's always sounded like our kind of place. What makes the diving in the south so "high voltage"? When we're not diving, we would like to visit the interior, such as Trafalger Falls, Boiling Lake, the Carib Village, the forts, and other rivers, waterfalls, etc. Would it be more convenient to stay in the Roseau area or the Mero/Saulsbury area?

Dominica is not that big, though the roads are very curvy and generally deteriorating from the heavy rainfall and rock slides, so travel is slow. The places you mention are mid-island or a little south of mid-island. Roseau is closer, but Mero/Salisbury has easier access to the south central road circle from which things on the Atlantic side, like the Carib settlements, can be reached. No single place is convenient for anything. The only good thing about Roseau is the number of shops and restaurants in walking distance.

There are a few very nice self-catering rental properties in the Mero/Salisbury area. Email Colin at Nature Island (dm). His website (nature island) lists and has good pics of lots of rental properties. Send him my regards (JM from NJ). for any self-catering cottage you must have a car.

The hotel type properties in and near Roseau are very nice, but almost all are for scuba divers, and package themselves that way. If you are not a diver you can do better elsewhere. I also don't recommend Roseau itself. Just outside Roseau and its crazy streets and traffic are towns like Loubiere or Canefield, much better. There is a VERY nice little hotel in Mero, the Tamarind Tree, small, lovely, very isolated, on a cliff directly over the sea. The Swiss/German owners are great people. Most of the guests are from Europe. I recommend it highly, though it's not that cheap by Dominican standards. If you don't have a car, all meals are available there, but that can get old fast. My regards to them as well.

Remember, Dominica is a poor nation. Only Haiti is poorer, in the entire Western Hemisphere. Prices for accommodations are low ( I rent a gated 7 room house with a big pool, large grounds, and maid service for $150 per day) but don't expect everything to be in tip top condition. In general, Dominica's settled areas are quite run down. Anything imported is expensive; local products are very cheap. There are frequent shortages. Things like paper towels. Bread. Gas.

Food availability is always an issue, unless you stay in a hotel. There are two decent supermarkets in the north, near Ross Medical School, two or three in Roseau that cater to European tastes, and an excellent one (Brizees) in Canefield, a few miles north of Roseau, where I usually stay. If you stay in the Mero area, Brizees is about a half hour drive. Stock up. They all run out of things quickly. An amusing feature of the two markets near Ross med school is the phenomenally expensive American food they sell. If you must have Cheerios or Captain Crunch or Hershey bars, they have them. Pizza too.

Outside the cruise ship areas you will find nobody trying to sell you anything, and there is almost no begging and very little crime. Most people speak English, but the language spoken among Dominicans is a French patois. Colin is a good source of information, though he tends to be somewhat terse. you have to ask.

The diving in the extreme south, around Scotts Head, is in an ancient volcanic crater with amazing structures and water clarity, gigantic walls and drop offs, jagged peaks breaking the surface, huge boulders, caves, bubbling volcanic gasses from the sea floor in places, direct linkage with the deepest sea depths, pelagic fish, and reef fishes seldom seen in more heavily dived areas. It's a big crater, miles across, so there is a lot of variety. It's considered by some to be one of the top dozen or so dives in the world. It's possible to swim or snorkel very near shore where the volacanic gasses bubble up and make the water very warm, in places fizzy like champagne.

The first time I visited Dominica I thought I had been transported to Tolkien's Middle Earth.

I can see that you really love Dominica...thanks for the reply. It's always sounded like our kind of place. What makes the diving in the south so "high voltage"? When we're not diving, we would like to visit the interior, such as Trafalger Falls, Boiling Lake, the Carib Village, the forts, and other rivers, waterfalls, etc. Would it be more convenient to stay in the Roseau area or the Mero/Saulsbury area?

Tim, if you're asking me, we did all the places you mentioned...Have no idea about Roseau vs Saulsbury area...In thinking back, Roseau seemed to us(group of 19) to be a very easy/good stepping off point to visit all sites you mentioned.............

Now----let me say this-in traveling to Dominica from PR we flew Liat Airlines(later found out it stands for Luggage In Another Terminal---:))& had to make 2 other very short island hops(basically??? for no reason)---ie we thought we had a non-stop direct flight to Dominica from PR!!!!!!...Upon arrival to Melville Hall Airport,17 out of our 23 pieces of checked in luggage did NOT make it....BUT, the next morning by noon(most of us were out diving that 1st morning) all 17 pieces made it to Castle Comfort---just like the owner predicted they would.....lol, after that we all had a GREAT time...

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 11:02 AM ----------

agilis-----speaking of (C)hampagne----here's to everyone.....

champagne.jpg

quick video of Champagne dive site also.....click link:
Champagne Dive Site Video Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

EDIT:.......DAMN ,now I'm gunna have to get back, now that everyone has made my memories of this wonderful place reappear......lol.....ALWAYS said I would........Who wants to plan (another) trip------RIGHT NOW........

To really see the interior you should spend a few days in the interior. Trafalger Falls can be done in the afternoon after a day of diving Scott's Head but Boiling Lake is a 6 hour hike so it needs a whole day. Driving in Dominica is a slow affair due to the curvy narrow roads. It's probably 45+ minutes from the south up to the Trafalger Falls area, longer to get to other interior areas.

We dove both Portsmouth and the south. If going again we would only dive in the south, we saw a lot more fish down there and enjoyed the southern dive sites more.

See my trip report for lots of info, web links and lots of photos of Trafalger Falls, Boling Lake, Roseau and underwater life.

If you like adventure one thing I would highly recommend is canyoning with Extreme Dominica out of Cocoa Cottages. That and the Boiling Lake hike are two of the better adventures we have had anywhere.

rex-You are correct about Boiling Lake..we did it on our non-boat diving day....ie was there Saturday thru Saturday & was schedule to boat dive 5 outta the 6 days....Thursday was our off boat diving day & did Boiling Lake that day.......

The Boiling Lake trek is tough going at times, a long hike. The lake itself is terrific in every sense, really amazing. The fumes kill off all vegetation close to the water, and you have to be careful. Falling in is almost certainly fatal, and every now and then someone does. Still, if you are fit it's a unique place. A couple of years ago all the water drained out of it through underground passages and there was no lake for a few months. It refilled itself as the subterranean forces dictated. Dominica is geologically very active, and there are all sorts of ways that this manifests itself.

Trafalgar Falls had a partial collapse not that long ago and the two falls merged. I think that has not changed since I last was there.

There are many, many things to see besides the officially designated sites and the places the tourist buses visit. There are several guides to the dozens of designated marked hikes. Syndicate, high enough up for you to feel the sharp temperature drop, is where you can see the Imperial Parrot, the largest Amazon Parrot in the world. Many sites require a small fee. Remember, this is a very poor country. Weekly passes are available at most sites, but some of the best things I've seen have been in places I found for myself, usually by following rivers and streams up into the hills.

The Jacko Steps which go back to slave rebellion times lead to all kinds of things. Off the main trails I've found the remnants of old plantation houses, old machinery turning to rust, even a small pile of musket round shot once. There is so much there that seems almost untouched. Then there is the wildlife: huge Boas, gentle giants, and more birds than you can imagine. The rainforests are incredibly benign; no poisons, no thorns, utterly pure sweet air and dappled sunlight.

I think most people who have written in this string are divers who stay with dive dedicated operations and get to see things in the interior only in groups in a limited time frame, since their schedule is focused on scuba diving. If yours is not, unhurried exploration in out of the way places can bring amazing rewards, but don't miss the waterfalls and the rivers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom