Dominica report June 2009, with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if you haven't been to Dominica you should definitely go. Just make sure you know what's it's about ahead of time - great diving, great rainforest, but a little shabby in places with not a developed tourist infrastructure simultaneously being a pro and con.

Absolutely, Dominica kicks butt!!!!!...Does any of this look familiar----lol(click link).......

Dominica 09 pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Absolutely, Dominica kicks butt!!!!!...Does any of this look familiar----lol(click link).......

Dominica 09 pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Yep, brings back the memories. You saw more seahorses than we do though. I don't think I'll get back to Dominica for a couple years (too many other places to go) but I definitely want to go back sometime. The diving was great, we really liked the varied topography underwater, and Champagne is a hoot.

Rex;

A wonderful report and great discussion. I am in the midst of planning a trip to Dominica for May or June 2010 and this report is most helpful. I am planning a two week stay and like you I want to dive north and south and also visit the interior. I would rather avoid renting a car for the whole time (although I would for a few day)> What was your impression of public transportation? Anything you missed on this trip that you would want to come back for?

Thnx for an excellent report

Rex;

A wonderful report and great discussion. I am in the midst of planning a trip to Dominica for May or June 2010 and this report is most helpful. I am planning a two week stay and like you I want to dive north and south and also visit the interior. I would rather avoid renting a car for the whole time (although I would for a few day)> What was your impression of public transportation? Anything you missed on this trip that you would want to come back for?

I'd actually skip the north, the diving just isn't as good as the south and nothing special up there to go look at different than what's in the south. The rainforest is great, I would not skip that. Renting a car helps but probably is not totally necessary. A lot would depend on what you planned to do. If you were planning any tours then they will pick you up so you don't need a car. If you want to travel independently then a car really helps. They do has buses, which are really just vans. I'm not sure how often they run, we didn't take any. If you stayed in Roseau or the Castle Comfort area and dived with one of the local ops you probably wouldn't need a car. If you dive with NID then the options are rental car, bus or they can help arrange transfort (for a fee) which I suspect is just a taxi.

When we go back we would like to go to Emerald Pool, Carib Terrritory, and the southesast coast, particuarly Victoria and Sari Sari Falls. And we enjoyed the cayoning so much we would probably do that two days.

Complete trip report and photos: www.diverrex.com

Thanks for the tips!.. Diving would be first and land actv second for myself. Im gonna have to check it out.
Thank you!

We got back Aug 2nd, an absolute must trip....We too were diving 1st , land adventures 2nd(heck, just getting from the airport to the Lodge is an adventure).....Stayed @ Castle Comfort Lodge(had 12 of the 15 rooms) & ALL had a ball.......here's a link to some of our fun, did all these plus Emerald pool & the Carib Village in the afternoons.....enjoy......

domindex

We got back Aug 2nd, an absolute must trip....We too were diving 1st , land adventures 2nd(heck, just getting from the airport to the Lodge is an adventure).....Stayed @ Castle Comfort Lodge(had 12 of the 15 rooms) & ALL had a ball.......here's a link to some of our fun, did all these plus Emerald pool & the Carib Village in the afternoons.....enjoy......

domindex

Nice photos, brings back good memories! Dominica is really a cool place, great combination of diving and rainforest. Maybe we should quit telling people to go, it's all that unspoiled nature that makes it so nice, wouldn't want it to get developed like so many of the other islands. Though it will make the driving easier as the roads get widened!

Dieverex, or anyone for that matter, can you tell me which dive shop to contact if i want to dive when my cruise ship arrives? I probably will not have much time and do not want to dive from the ship.

Back
Top Bottom