• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata

Discussion in 'Greater Caribbean & Bermuda' started by Parrothead_Diver, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Parrothead_Diver

Parrothead_Diver Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I am considering a trip to the Dominican Republic, the Puerto Plata area, in January. Can anybody suggest:

1) A dive operator?
    2) Must see dive spots?

2. ronrosa

ronrosa Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Diving in Puerto Plata is not good. I wouldn't bother unless they are taking you to the remote sites.

3. Scuba Leon

Scuba Leon Instructor, Scuba

Hi,

I would absolutely dive on St.George wreck in the south of Dom.Rep., Parque nacional del este.

Have fun!

Leon

4. rickm21

rickm21 Registered

I was able to take a shuttle from Puarta Plata to SosĂșa where most of the dive shops are located. There are 3-5 dive operations there in SosĂșa.

The water is not that pretty, but I went cave diving with the swiss dive operation and they were wonderful. The caves were large and very safe. We descended into one tunnel and ascended into another cavern, then took another tunnel into a third cavern.

It was fresh water spring diving and a great dive.

5. pilot fish

pilot fish Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I hear diving in teh Dominican Rep is awful. Dead reefs, garbage in the water and nothing worthwhile seeing.