Dominican Republic - Puntacana, Bayahbie Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I should be making this report from the comforts of my home, but the weather conditions in the North East are less than favorable, and force us to extend our vacation another 3 days.. (Flights canceled, and the earliest we could confirm a flight back was for Tuesday the 14th)..

The diving in the DR is wonderful.. I would even say it TOTALLY outclassed our trip last April to the Florida Keys (Islamorada) with the exception of diving the Spiegel Grove.

For those that say the diving is not all that great, I can say I experienced quite the opposite. The diving was enjoyable, the staff of the Puntacana Resort & Club, and Scuba Fun (Bayahibe) were top notch.

The visibility averaged 50 - 65 feet.. with the worse day around 40 or so.. the best day was over 80 feet of vis..

Water is 80 degrees (every dive) and the weather ranges from 82 - 86.

Everything can be seen here.. Turtles (Puntacana), Sharks (Catalanita Island aka Shark Point), Stingrays (both Puntacana & Bayahibe) and even a spotted eagle ray (Puntacana).. We dove wrecks in both locations as well, St. George in Bayahibe, and Patricia in Puntacana. The Patricia was a great dive, with a big vessel, a large debris field and barracuda...

Since I am forced to stay an additional 3 days.. I went down to the scuba shack (really is a "shack") and signed up for 3 more dives.. might as well enjoy being stranded...

That is all for now, I will write a more detailed report when I offically return. I know there were a few people that pm'd or sent me e-mails asking for details from my trip.. so I wanted to get this up sooner rather than later.

We are going to punta cana for a wedding early May. I would lokk forward to your full report. A group of 53 in total and four of us will be diving.
Bob

That's good to hear. I remember meeting a dining room supervisor from DR at a Hawaiian cruise last year. I asked him about diving in DR, as DR is one of the good (cheaper) places to go for resort vacation. He said a lot of fish has gone near Puerto Plata, and it's better to go to Punta Cana area for diving.

One of the coming years I'd like to go to DR too. So looking forward to your full review. Can you also let us know the pricing. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom