Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Oreillyk,

We just got back from Punta Cana and we stayed at the Barcello Bavaro Beach Resorts. Overall the diving wasn't too bad and some of it was eeven good but the Red Coral dive shop is very disorganized and they never seem to know who is supposed to be diving. That was probably the worst thing about diving there.

on the other hand I do recommend Catalina Island and if you can, visit the St. George Wreck, I got some good pics of both. Be prepared for the lack of colorful fish and coral.

If you can the best way to dive would be if you could find someone from the diveshop (Red Coral) to take you places on their day off. I did this to the St. George and it worked very good there was just a small group of four of us and two guides. It is a bit more expensive but then again you do have more say on where you want to go.

To find another diveshop you may have to look as far away as Higuey (45min) but they will pick you up.

Right off the beach at the barcello the diving is pretty bad unless you can go to the wrecks ( Astrom and Monica) which were not bad. If the weather is a little windy they might want to take you to a shallow dive ( 25feet if your lucky) with nothing to see. I also have a map of their dive sights and you should have a decent dive if they take you to one of them.

If you have any other questions about the resort or diving just reply back.:diver:

I just wanted to add that the dive boat is infact a dive boat with seating for about 15-20 and a ladder. They tie off to a line that is properly anchored but I think they started doing that way too late.

Hey Doc-

Have you heard anything about the Diving near Sousa, DR?

Thanks
:cheers:

My wife and I were in the Dominican Republic 2 years ago on a stop over to Curacao (TWA flew direct and it was cheap). Will never go there again but that is another story. What we did enjoy was the cave diving, that was awesome! If you get a chance and you have AOW you can do some easy cave dives that you will remember forever...

Kev
:)

Bridgenet,

What was so wrong about Curacao? We are planning a stop there on the way back from St. Vincent. Please let me know if you had any issues.

:mean:

Sorry if what I wrote was a little confusing, what I meant was I would never go back to the Dominican Republic, Curacao was OK. Dominican was extremely poor and you never felt safe walking around, constantly hit on by vendors, even came down the street to find you to bring you to their shops. Ocean diving somewhat lame, but cave diving was great. Recommend you bring your own equipment, (at least regs) that supplied by the dive shops (at least the one's we saw) were questionable.

Curacao is fine, although stayed at Habitat Curacao which is far from everything and very quiet. Williamstad was somewhat disappointing, looks great on a postcard and the shops along the water are colorful and quaint but go one row back and you'd think you were back into the states. Didn't matter as our vacation on that trip was Dominican Republic to Curacao to Grand Cayman, 2 1/2 week dive vacation :). Grand Cayman still favorite.

Was in Bonaire last September with Natasha and like it more than Curacao but worth visiting Curacao at least once. Diving was good, make sure you dive the Superior wreck if you like wreck diving.

Let us know how St Vincent is, one of the islands we have yet to visit.

Kev

Here is a pic of my trip, the best diving that I found is by far the wrecks. In particular the St. George wreck off Bayahibe, that is where this is from. If anyone wants to see more let me know but I don't know how to put up multiple shots.

ScubaJae once bubbled...
Here is a pic of my trip, the best diving that I found is by far the wrecks. In particular the St. George wreck off Bayahibe, that is where this is from. If anyone wants to see more let me know but I don't know how to put up multiple shots.

It looks like the picture isn't working so if anyone has any ideas on how to get it to work I am all eyes, Please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom