Donating long hose with 90°?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the hoses close to my neck, rather than looping out. Milflex is good but an elbow is still more comfortable. I tried a 90⁰ but a 110⁰ feels better. It's a trade-off though, the elbow makes it more awkward to clip off to the shoulder d-ring. I'm still not sold on a configuration yet, it's a compromise.

All I'm saying is instead of throwing out misinformation, lay out the pros and cons and let someone decide for themselves.

Misinformation? I've seen them fail, the ones that failed did have the set screw, they do have a dynamic O-ring in them that is unnecessary for the purpose (when you can just use a 90).

When a 90 will serve the exact same purpose, the is very little "Pro's" vs the "Con's", IMHO. But you are correct, it is a preference.

Oddly enough I started using one back in the late 90's but not for my long hose, for my short hose, I actually liked it for my back up, because those hoses were so stiff back then, my neckless reg would end up on the side of my neck......and if you dig deep there is a picture of Trey with one on his back up.... :)

View attachment 648042 this is the regulator I have, the 5th port faces straight out not down unfortunately. I have it set up with the hp ports on the top. Long hose come down behind shoulder in front of the wing. It then goes under the waist belt and comes up in practically the same spot (I'll try having it come up near the middle of the waistbelt this weekend). I'm about 6ft and 80kg and I have a 7ft hose so I think it should be enough.

I see. Yeah, with that reg you won't be able to route it as I suggested, so ignore that. @Julius SCHMIDT 's frogkickdiving link has a good setup for a similar-looking 1st stage reg.
:

yellow - primary
red - necklace
blue - inflator
green - drysuit (optional)
black - SPG

:

When you put it all together, the reg hose points straight out instead of down, so you end up losing a bit of length on its way to your hip. But as you can see from the pic in Julius' post, it still routes cleanly, close to the diver's body so not a snagging hazard in a wreck. And it already approaches his mouth from directly to the right, so a 90 doesn't seem like it would help much.

If you have your stuff routed like this already and still have an issue where it tugs on your mouth (especially when you turn your head left), consider a longer hose instead of a 90 or swivel. Costs like thirty bucks, has no downsides IMHO.

Mine is setup like that. I think I have enough hose. The thing is that I pull it tight. I'm going to try having it looser this weekend and see if I like it ,otherwise I'll just try a 90

Mine is setup like that. I think I have enough hose. The thing is that I pull it tight. I'm going to try having it looser this weekend and see if I like it ,otherwise I'll just try a 90

The trick is to not pull it tight behind your neck. Pulling it tight makes it tug on your mouth, and can also cause it to pull out of the waistband.

With the reg in your mouth, while looking to the left, place the hose behind your neck comfortably.

While still looking to the left, push the excess long hose into the side of your waistband, then pull down and back behind your right hip.

This will stop the tugging on your mouth and help prevent the hose from pulling out without a can light or hose retainer.

Back
Top Bottom