Don't buy the Trident TA19 Pony Bottle Clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is my story.

The product I was using was the Bayonet Clip ( #TA19 ). I set up the clip the proper way on my BCD and the other half on the pony bottle. I checked the setup at my house and it seemed to work fine. The bottle was in the clip tight and did not show signs of releasing.

The day of the dive, I set up my rig and got the pony all secure. Same thing, it seemed fine on the boat, tight. I then did a giant stride off the back of the boat. That is when I think it released from the clip. The force of hitting the water forced it to release. I did not notice it until I was back on the boat.

I spoke with a buddy of mine yesterday and he told me he was diving with someone over the weekend and the same thing happened to him. But he did not loose any gear like it did.

Now here is the reply I got from Trident.

Exuse my delay in writing you back, as I only had time this weekend to further investigate the equipment failure that you are claiming.
I went out and tested 10 different TA19 pony bottle brackets for security while giant striding into the water. I could not in 20 attempts get any unit to fail. Another test confirmed that with proper attachement of an octopus regulator, along with a unclipped TA19 bracket would cause the pony bottle to release, but also stay attached by the regulator hose. I am not sure how old your unit is or was as you did not send in any supporting pictures or receipts. I only can say that our products performed. I dont know if you actually snapped in your bracket, or had a buddy inspect your gear. It is obvious based on your story that a buddy was not with you or was not keeping an eye on your equipment, as you did not know any thing was amiss until the end of your dive. There is much to your story that is missing, and we have discussed it hear at Trident. If your story is true, many things would have prevented you from having any loss of equipment. I am sorry for your loss, and believe that a good buddy, proper knowledge of your equipment, proper diving technique, and many other factors would of prevented any loss.

Can you give us a picture?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom