Don't Smile With A Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie:
OK I agree with most of not "molesting" any of the underwater wildlife. But then why are there so many shark dives, manta dives, ray dives, etc.? True, on some dives the DM tells you not to touch, but usualy they ring the dinner bell to bring the animals into view. It is apparent to me that interfering with the wildlife is condoned as long as it is a $$$ maker. I really enjoy diving, but everytime that you enter an underwater enviroment (or for that matter any enviroment, I'm a backpacker also) you are going to disturb something, and it's usualy not for the better of the indigenous occupants. The best we can accomplish is minimal impact.

Friends of mine just came back from a Bimini dive, one of the dives ended up at a location that was the site of shark feeding, although their dive wasn't a planned event. As soon as they arrive at the site, a number of sharks arrive, anticipating a feed. Fortunately, all of them were very experienced divers, didn't panic and understood what was going on. However, the sharks were clearly expecting some food, makes you wonder if they think all divers taste like chicken!

Taking An Uncertified And Untrained Person To 40 Feet Is Dangerous And Unprofessional. As An Instructor People Are Depending On Us To Protect Them Because We Are Instructors.

craborn:
Taking An Uncertified And Untrained Person To 40 Feet Is Dangerous And Unprofessional. As An Instructor People Are Depending On Us To Protect Them Because We Are Instructors.

How often do we take the word of the new and inexperienced as fact? If you had read earlier posts you would have learned that the location (assumed to be Bonneville Seabase) in question is only 19 feet deep. I think the instructor was well within the appropriate range and the "new" diver had the incorrect info.

In response to your actual post, I do agree with you that "Taking An Uncertified And Untrained Person To 40 Feet Is Dangerous And Unprofessional."

outlawaggie:
Like our great President, G.W. Bush, I'm from Texas. I'm not rude I just tell it like it is.

By the way, of the research I've done the Nurse shark is not bothered at all by handling which is why they have become a popular attraction on Ecotourism ventures. Daphne's quote is BS.

G.W. Bush is not from Texas. He's a damn yankee.

MSilvia:
You might want to mention it to the instructor's certifying agency. I'm sure they'd want to know.
I was in Costa Rica in March and the dive master on one of our boat dives actually stuck his arm under a few rocks until he found and took out an octopus and placed it on his hand. (till it inked him) This same DM also grabbed a puffer and handed to me I tried to let it go but he just grabbed it again. We mentioned it to the owner of the dive shop and he just said "this is costa rica" They were nice people and this DM also picked up any trash along the dive. I felt however that touching these poor creatures was not needed. You could tell the puffer was afraid. What can be done to stop this behaviour? Any suggestions?

I wonder how big the puffer fish was. Someone told me that the fish that has inflicted the most serious wounds in aquaria is the puffer fish. Apparently in captivity it cottons onto a few survival techniques and bites - badly. So if anyone thought the main threat from a puffer was if you stuck it in your mouth . . . it seems that its if you stick yourself in its mouth.

If it's OK for divers to grab hold of sea creatures, why do we get so uptight if a shark grabs hold of us?

I got into diving years ago so I could see animals in their natural enviroment. I don't know of any of the fish I have seen that was born in the palm of a human hand. Why can't people just keep their feakin hands off?

Hello, I just got certified on July 17 2005 in Sandpiont Idaho with AA Diving and now I'm working on my advanced junior course.

Puffers can be very dangerous! Check out this link... The DM didn't even touch it... he just pointed it out to the other divers and it shot out at him and bit his finger OFF!!

http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/newsletter/Mad Puffer Fish Attacks Diver.htm

Back
Top Bottom