Don't Smile With A Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a sig line sombody uses on this board, can't remeber who it is but it goes somethinglike this

Take only pictures..... Leave only bubbles.........

One minute you want to study marine biology then you take a pop at Enviromentalists :06:

JC's volumes may well be out of date, attitudes and scientific research has come on leaps and bounds, try these two web sites for more info and both have great on-line book shops

http://www.whoi.edu/
http://scripps.ucsd.edu/

outlawaggie:
Like our great President, G.W. Bush, I'm from Texas. I'm not rude I just tell it like it is.

By the way, of the research I've done the Nurse shark is not bothered at all by handling which is why they have become a popular attraction on Ecotourism ventures. Daphne's quote is BS.

its good that you are now certified and know that what you did was bad, my first dive was in cuba, on a resort course to 33m....that was all kinds of fun on my O/W course thinking about how wrong that was.......

and about the above comment obout your current pressident, all i will say is i dissagree with you, i wont start anything, and dont want to but you are very biased thats all i will say

What part of his comment on nurse sharks is bogus? - "you are very biased thats all i will say"

I'd be interested in researching the issue a bit. I'm very much in the no-interaction camp, but I do see quite a bit of the petting zoo setups spreading around the world. From dolphin dives to Sting Ray City, interactive diving is becoming quite popular.

I'd like to see some real research on if this is good or bad for the animals.

Don't play with your food ...

If you want to touch 'em and pat 'em - there's plenty of time for that back on the boat once they're good and dead.

outlawaggie:
Fishfreak, I would simply ignore Daphne. A Swiss citizen that would quote Michael Moore's fairly tale of fiction obviously does not base her opinions on fact. She instead bases them on the fantasy of emotion. i.e. don't touch the poor fish, animals.

Daphne, are you a vegetarian?

hmm, how should i put this. you're not a very nice person. stay ignorant, be happy.
go play with sharks!

btw: i got the text from a book. i didn't research it myself, so if it's not true, then please prove the text wrong, by facts, not by insulting me.

[rant]
I would wonder where the line should be drawn. Let the more vocal environmentalists have free reign and before you know it, eating any form of meat would be verboten because it involves killing an animal; but on the flip side of the coin, there are those who feel that everything on "God's green Earth" was put here for human use (and abuse).

It's hard to strike a balance.

We have domestic animals, wild animals, and wild but domesticated animals (non-traditional pets, for example). There are a lot of animals that fall into the grey area. Does that mean no one should ever touch or befriend an animal? Daily thousands of people feed migratory birds and songbirds; should this be outlawed? Or how about feeding the raccoons that occasionally visit your backwoods cabin, just so that the kids can see them?

If the first caveman had never invited the first wolf to share his cave, we wouldn't have all the dogs we have now. If the first hunter/gatherers had never thought of taming and riding a horse, industry would not have progressed as it has. Same with keeping and breeding cattle, sheep, goats......... at one point in history all these animals (or their predecessors) were 'wild'.

As to the shark comment. When I replied above, I didn't realize they were being kept deliberately in the preserve to be visited by divers. While some may view that as sad (me among them), what's done is done, they've apparently taken a step toward domestication as evidenced by the comment that they're accustomed to being handled by divers. Fair enough. It's also pretty evident that the original poster recognizes the difference.
[/rant] :soapbox:

Sorry this post got so long.

FreeFloat:
[rant]
I would wonder where the line should be drawn. Let the more vocal environmentalists have free reign and before you know it, eating any form of meat would be verboten because it involves killing an animal; but on the flip side of the coin, there are those who feel that everything on "God's green Earth" was put here for human use (and abuse).

It's hard to strike a balance.

We have domestic animals, wild animals, and wild but domesticated animals (non-traditional pets, for example). There are a lot of animals that fall into the grey area. Does that mean no one should ever touch or befriend an animal? Daily thousands of people feed migratory birds and songbirds; should this be outlawed? Or how about feeding the raccoons that occasionally visit your backwoods cabin, just so that the kids can see them?

If the first caveman had never invited the first wolf to share his cave, we wouldn't have all the dogs we have now. If the first hunter/gatherers had never thought of taming and riding a horse, industry would not have progressed as it has. Same with keeping and breeding cattle, sheep, goats......... at one point in history all these animals (or their predecessors) were 'wild'.

Sorry this post got so long.

think about pig pest, bse and chicken flu. where the limit is, i don't know. but we've past it. it harms us, when we harm others.

underwater daphne:
think about pig pest, bse and chicken flu. where the limit is, i don't know. but we've past it. it harms us, when we harm others.

How can you possibly exist without killing other animals?

awap:
How can you possibly exist without killing other animals?

How right you are. I'm getting sick of the people who want to take the human race and lock it up inside a bubble so that we don't iterfere with anything! "Oh no! Don't weed your garden! You could kill the lady bugs!" It's ridiculous. If you've never enjoyed a nice steak or hamburger, you're a syco!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom