Doria 2006 on SEEKER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
This July will be the 50th annerversy of the sinking of the Doria.
We currently still have openings on out July 16-18 trip.
ALL other dated in July are booked solid.

the trip leaves at 12:01 AM on July 16 and we pull the hook and steam home at noon on the 18th.

these spots are filling fast
Too book a spot contact myself or Capt Mike Jensen at mike@underseaexploration.com

Ray

We can help ya with that too

I currently have 7 spaces available for the 16-18 July 2006 trip.
Cost is $1400 and includes food.

As for training, I have a Basic Nitrox class on 16 December, Extended Range/Trimix (classroom session) on 19 December. I am also putting together some technical training for January and February in Florida. Please email if interested as I don't check PM very often.

Mike

www.underseaexploration.com

sounds like a very reasonable price considering the inflated price of some of the other charters being planned for the anniversary.

I am very interested. What was the condition of the boat this last summer (2005)? Are there any spots that are still (reasonably) safe to penetrate, at least a little ways in? Or is it just a site seeing tour of going down to look at (what's left of) the wreck?

Also, is there some kind of an Atlantic “local diving/orientation” type program (or recommendation) for divers to get ready for this (specific) dive? I.e. some wrecks closer to shore (day trips) with similar conditions that you could recommend for getting ready? I am a Pacific NW diver, and usually dive within the confines of Puget Sound, so I am used to cold, salt water, low vis. and currents, but have only dove in the open sea in Hawaii, with no more than 6-8 foot waves, and only slightly larger swells. I have yet to dive the Atlantic and do not know (first hand) the conditions.

(Although this sounds like an obvious question), would it be advisable to make a separate trip in June and do some preliminary wreck dives in the area, ahead of time?

Any recommendations, or posts about how others who have not dove that coast, or that far offshore, have tackled this issue and got “ready” for this dive?

-Steve :14:

well that trip is all booked up...
if theres any more intrest we will begin another trip for Aug.

Solitude Diver:
I am very interested. What was the condition of the boat this last summer (2005)? Are there any spots that are still (reasonably) safe to penetrate, at least a little ways in? Or is it just a site seeing tour of going down to look at (what's left of) the wreck?

Also, is there some kind of an Atlantic “local diving/orientation” type program (or recommendation) for divers to get ready for this (specific) dive? I.e. some wrecks closer to shore (day trips) with similar conditions that you could recommend for getting ready? I am a Pacific NW diver, and usually dive within the confines of Puget Sound, so I am used to cold, salt water, low vis. and currents, but have only dove in the open sea in Hawaii, with no more than 6-8 foot waves, and only slightly larger swells. I have yet to dive the Atlantic and do not know (first hand) the conditions.

(Although this sounds like an obvious question), would it be advisable to make a separate trip in June and do some preliminary wreck dives in the area, ahead of time?

Any recommendations, or posts about how others who have not dove that coast, or that far offshore, have tackled this issue and got “ready” for this dive?

-Steve :14:

Stop me if you are kidding, and honestly no offense meant, but you are not even close to having the minimum experience to consider this wreck in my opinion. I would be shocked if they allowed you to go if you wanted to. 240' in NE is nothing like anything you have done (if your profile is accurate - diving for 1 year all at 130' or less). I had one buddy dive this wreck with under 200 dives (which I thought was aggressive) but he had completed Adv. Trimix and had a good amount of 200' deco dives under his belt. Everyone else I know who dives this is at 1000+ dives. I don't think you need to log 1000 dives to do this wreck but I would suggest several hundred dives at a minimum with many 200' deco dives in this area. I'm sure Mike or others can comment with more detail.

There are a lot of great wrecks in this area at <200'. Your current certification is good for 165' (again if your profile is accurate). Even 160' is very different from 130' in NE. The Bass, U853, Baleen, Alma Holmes, etc.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Stop me if you are kidding, and honestly no offense meant, but you are not even close to having the minimum experience to consider this wreck in my opinion. I would be shocked if they allowed you to go if you wanted to. 240' in NE is nothing like anything you have done (if your profile is accurate - diving for 1 year all at 130' or less). I had one buddy dive this wreck with under 200 dives (which I thought was aggressive) but he had completed Adv. Trimix and had a good amount of 200' deco dives under his belt. Everyone else I know who dives this is at 1000+ dives. I don't think you need to log 1000 dives to do this wreck but I would suggest several hundred dives at a minimum with many 200' deco dives in this area. I'm sure Mike or others can comment with more detail.

There are a lot of great wrecks in this area at <200'. Your current certification is good for 165' (again if your profile is accurate). Even 160' is very different from 130' in NE. The Bass, U853, Baleen, Alma Holmes, etc.

--Matt

As the original post mentioned, the trip was not until next summer.

Per Private Messages back and forth with DIESEL298, my preference was to wait until summer of &#8217;07 to give myself more time, but my concern was the added danger of further deterioration of the wreck. By this summer, I intend to be trimix certified, have over 200 dives logged (with a good variety of experiences and mostly all cold and with tec set up), and with numerous dives at over 200 ft. My intent was to also gain further experience by joining him (Diesel289) in June of &#8217;06, for some preliminary deep dives and to get to know him and the crew along with Atlantic conditions. Possible wrecks have already been suggested.

It is also possible to dive a wreck without penetrating, if I did not feel comfortable with the conditions.

I am not reckless (no pun intended) and would not attempt such a dive unless not only I, but others with more experience, had no doubts about my abilities.

Thanks for your concern(s) though. :wink:

-Steve

Solitude Diver:
...Per Private Messages back and forth with DIESEL298.....

I should have done the same - my apology if it came across as holier than thou. I am not a Doria diver - I'm building my experience in the 160 range and hoping to complete entry trimix this summer.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom