Dorothea Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil TK

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't do any of my diving in the UK, I toodle off somewhere warmer -so I'm not clued up on the scene at Dorothea Quarry. But I've just read on the Beeb's webpage that 'another' diver has died in that quarry -making it the 5th this year.
I couldn't find any information on why these deaths occurred although there's a few clues on the BBC page ie: near zero temperatures in parts and zero vis not uncommon. (one diver became 'seperated' from his 'group')
Why do divers continue to go there? Apparently they are disuaded by the owner of the quarry and are in fact trespassing.
As I said, I'm a stranger to the UK dive scene and the only publicity in the media I've noticed is bad stuff, -wreck pillage, nicking golf balls, raiding lobster pots and now diving in dangerous quarries without full safety back up.
I'm not knocking the UK but it seems that maybe that UK divers could do with a PR representative. There is plenty of good stuff of course -from getting disabled persons diving to clearing rubbish around divesites etc.
Has anybody noticed any good publicity?

Phil TK

As you say there's no back up there in the event of an emergency. Also the quarry is very deep. I think over 100m in places so if you get into trouble you wil literally be in deep trouble.

unfortunatly bad publicity sells more than good publicity im sure its out there somwhere just in small print on page 9 or 10 tucked away in the corner :(

Back
Top Bottom