Dot number on a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pezi77

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

Iam new here, and i have to say this site is great.
To beginning i have to say thats my english is not very good.

So please give me a chance.

So my problem.

I moved over to South Carolina from Germany. I worked there for the same Company. So i moved ober here with my personal Stuff.

I ask severall Diveshops in Germany if i can use my two 12ltr Tnaks. Everybody told me i can use it.

So far so good.

I foond in my Company a couple Gays there are Divers. The next appointment for a Divetripp was make.

Yhe first Dive in Amerika was great for me, really.

So after the Dive i went to a local Diveshop and told him i need an refill. The first thing he was looking for was a Number on my Tanks... I dident found this number, and i dident get a refill for my Tanks.

I tried everything to find out how i can get this DOT number.

But without any luck.

So my question is: is anybody here how knows how i can get this number, because the Tanks are almost 2 Jears old and idont wanna put it into a Trashcan.

So please help me..

Thanks for help

Michael

Hi there

thanks for your information, but what i can DO now??

See ya

Michael

1) Buy your own compressor
2) Become really good friends with an LDS
3) Sell it on Ebay ( to either someone in Europe or an uspsecting idiot )

Anyone else?

er.. how did you get your tanks into US in the first place ? transported them fully filled from Germany ?

just curious. since you said you managed to do one dive on the original fill

Hi

The tanks came over here in a container with my other stuff....

So on the regular seaway

Why???

See ya

no, just curious. because almost all carriers require to ship scuba tanks empty.
but i guess that's only for air transportation..
(although even ground UPS requires them empty)

The DOT is a US Federal Agency that requlates, among other things, high pressure tanks. Each Scuba Tank sold in the US is stamped DOT as having been approved for interstate transport. Every tank manufacturer submits tanks for testing by the DOT. The DOT then allows those tanks to be transported across state lines. The only hope you have and it's a slim one, is to take the tank to a local Hydro testing facility and have them see about getting DOT approval for your tanks. It's not likely to happen. The funny thing is there is no law that says you have to have a DOT stamp on the tank, it just means the according to federal law the tank cannot be transported across state lines. Welcome to the US :). I don't know of any Scuba shops that would fill them without the DOT stamp though.

I would take the suggestion of putting them on Ebay and buying new tanks for use in the US.

It really sucks that you got lied to about using them here. I'm sure they are as safe as any tank sold here, probably the same manufacturer.

Scott

Well, first are there any numbers on the tank at all? If not, then you might have a very very hard time getting anything accomplished with these tanks.

IS the manufacturer of the tank a company that sells here in the US? If so, then it might be possible for you to contact that manufacturer and see if they can get you a DOT marking for your tanks. I am sure you would have to explain that you purchased the tanks in Germany and then had to move to the states to get a job.

If all else fails, and you know someone back home who can buy and use those tanks, that is another option. Definetly do not throw the tanks out....

DOT is supposed to be revising their specs to encompass EU products too. 'Couse they've been "doing that" for a few years now...

It may take a few more years but those could be useable here in the future. Either way you're stuck with either findaing a shop that will fill them until the current hydro onthem runs out, buying new tanks and using the others for door stops, or getting access to a private compressor.

If I remember correctly EU tanks have test pressure stamped right on them, so any hydro shop that can match the valve thread should be able to hydro them, they just can't do a DOT approved stamp on them. Without the DOT stamp most shops won't fill them so you're still out in the woods.

If all else fails contact DOT yourself and find out about the "new" spec schedule, and what you can legally do with those tanks in the mean time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom