Double AL 80 rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark Bait!

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just to reiterate on what iknow, and what im sure you will answer..

Im looking for a double AL 80 rig for S. Florida diving.

During the summer im usually in skins or at the most 3mm. Winter time 3mm or 5mm(very rarely) wetsuit, 5mm hood, can light, and the usualy odds and ends for tech/wreck diving.

I currently dive a kydex plate w/ 20# wing for single's with my HP 100

So i will be looking to get a SS BP w/ the 38# doubles wing and hog harness is this correct? Or should i be looking at the 42#

I wil eventually be adding cave diving to my agenda w/ steel tanks possible Faber LP 108/120

I'm assuming your neutral w/o any added ballast w/ your singles\HP100 setup...

The rough rule of thumb......
AL80's + Steel Plate (or you could opt for a V-weight + Kydex) and something near 40lbs wing...

Regarding your cave agenda further, your flipping between 7.25" and 8" tanks there...
LP108/LP104/HP130's are the general best tanks for the job and tend to require up near the 55-60lbs shape.

Generally the thinner tanks equate to a thinner wing, and the wider tanks a bit wider if your caring about streamlining the rig vs. looking the taco phenomenon.

Something along the lines of the DiveRite Classic is general purpose and works across both fairly well. Looking at Tobin's line, I'd think the 38 would be on the light end for future cave diving w/ the heavier/wider tanks... Look at the 50/57...

Off the top of my head, I see lots of Tobin's single tank wings down here, not too many dbl's wings, so I don't have anyone local I could point you to, to get an in person look-see....

-Tim

just to reiterate on what iknow, and what im sure you will answer..

Im looking for a double AL 80 rig for S. Florida diving.

During the summer im usually in skins or at the most 3mm. Winter time 3mm or 5mm(very rarely) wetsuit, 5mm hood, can light, and the usualy odds and ends for tech/wreck diving.

I currently dive a kydex plate w/ 20# wing for single's with my HP 100

So i will be looking to get a SS BP w/ the 38# doubles wing and hog harness is this correct? Or should i be looking at the 42#

I wil eventually be adding cave diving to my agenda w/ steel tanks possible Faber LP 108/120

Your "rig"

2 x full al 80's -4 lbs
SS plate and Harness -6
Dual Regs -4
Bands and Manifold -4
Can light -2

Rig Max negative buoyancy~ -20

Your Rig provides about 8 lbs of ballast with empty tanks.

In a 3mm you probably want to keep using your Kydex plate.

In a 5mm you could benefit from the SS plate.

In either case the Torus 38 is sufficient.

Tobin

I use Tobin's 38lb wing for double 80's, you're going to have to get a different wing for 120's though. I use the T57 for double 130's.

I use Tobin's 38lb wing for double 80's, you're going to have to get a different wing for 120's though. I use the T57 for double 130's.

Probably, but that's mostly a function of the exposure suit that the OP will need with the Steel 120's, not the weight of the cylinders.

The basic calculation for a doubles wing is the weight of the back gas + the buoyancy of the exposure suit + 2 or 3 lbs.

2 x 120 hold about 20 lbs of air or nitrox. 38 - 20 = 18.

18 -3 = 15 lbs. Few drysuits will be less than 15 lbs buoyant with minimum gas in them.

Tobin

Probably, but that's mostly a function of the exposure suit that the OP will need with the Steel 120's, not the weight of the cylinders.

The basic calculation for a doubles wing is the weight of the back gas + the buoyancy of the exposure suit + 2 or 3 lbs.

2 x 120 hold about 20 lbs of air or nitrox. 38 - 20 = 18.

18 -3 = 15 lbs. Few drysuits will be less than 15 lbs buoyant with minimum gas in them.

Tobin

Agreed, FWIW though my current "florida" exposure suit protection- TLS350 DUI stretchliner and underarmor cold gear only takes 9lbs of lead to sink (not accounting for saltwater). In that case I guess you could get away with a smaller wing?

Agreed, FWIW though my current "florida" exposure suit protection- TLS350 DUI stretchliner and underarmor cold gear only takes 9lbs of lead to sink. In that case I guess you could get away with a smaller wing?

If your suit is only 9 lbs positive you can use a smaller wing.

OTOH if you need 9 lbs in addition to your plate, harness, regs, bands and manifold, empty tanks, can light etc. then your suit is much more positive than 9 lbs.

Tobin

If your suit is only 9 lbs positive you can use a smaller wing.

OTOH if you need 9 lbs in addition to your plate, harness, regs, bands and manifold, empty tanks, can light etc. then your suit is much more positive than 9 lbs.

Tobin

Nope, just how I said it... my suit is only 9lbs buoyant with the listed undergarments. :wink:

edit: I'm assuming an additional 5lbs for saltwater (I'm 200lbs) so figure 14lbs.

Ya i figured i would need to get a bigger wing for when i decide to get into cave diving, but that is not for a little while from now before i even think about doing any deep penetration in caves.

Now what i didn't know is that i could use my Kydex plate with the AL 8o's with a 3mm or less. I was under the impression that i would be better off using a SS BP

These willl be the doubles and 1 slung stage i would be useing

Aluminum 80 (Stage) Luxfer 3000 7.25 26.1 31.4 - 1.4 : + 4.4

Ya i figured i would need to get a bigger wing for when i decide to get into cave diving, but that is not for a little while from now before i even think about doing any deep penetration in caves.

Now what i didn't know is that i could use my Kydex plate with the AL 8o's with a 3mm or less. I was under the impression that i would be better off using a SS BP

These willl be the doubles and 1 slung stage i would be useing

Aluminum 80 (Stage) Luxfer 3000 7.25 26.1 31.4 - 1.4 : + 4.4

The wing capacity is a function of the volume of back gas and the buoyancy of your suit.

The plate material is a function of the required ballast.

A 3mm suit is only 4-5 lbs buoyant and a pair of empty al 80's is about +8 lbs.

That means you will need about 12 lbs of total ballast. The Kydes plate and harness is about -2, your regs are about -4, the tank bands and manifold iso bar are about -4 and your can light is maybe -2. That's pretty close to the 12 lbs of ballast you need.

If you need a few more lbs you can stick soft weight pouches between your wing and back plate.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom