Double tanks with regular BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the market for a new BCD and I notice that several BCD's can use an adaptor to mount double's to them. The Oceanic Probe, Black Diamond, KnightHawk, etc.

Has anyone ever used a set of doubles with one of these BCD's? I will be diving single tanks but I am curious as to how well these BCD's handle double's so if you have dove doubles with your BCD or know someone that has, I would love to hear about the experience.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

While you can do that ... and you can find old pics of NASA water training tank safety divers in doubles and Knighthawk's and I have the "butterfly bands" needed to for my Knighthawk ... you will find that by the time you DO do that, you will not be interested in doing so with a regular BC

My advice is to not use that as a critera for a BC , and/or get a backplate/wing

Especially for doubles, you'll want the support and balance/control advantages of a BP&W! The other problem with those BC's is Gear Config. You won't have the luxury of setting up your rig to maximize performance in the water.

Best config for doubles: BP, 1-Piece Harness & Wing that is meant for doubles.

When you go to a single tank, use a single tank wing & just switch over your BP.

The long & short of it, by embracing this philosophy, it will add to better performance (control & comfort) in the water. Do this from the start rather then having re-buying all the gear down the road. There are many posts on the Board that discuss this.

Without a doubt, I've been diving BP/W for years and years. I was just curious of peoples experience diving doubles in this setup.

Jeremy

I'm in the market for a new BCD and I notice that several BCD's can use an adaptor to mount double's to them. The Oceanic Probe, Black Diamond, KnightHawk, etc.

Has anyone ever used a set of doubles with one of these BCD's? I will be diving single tanks but I am curious as to how well these BCD's handle double's so if you have dove doubles with your BCD or know someone that has, I would love to hear about the experience.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Zeagle

People alway post about the big negative is lack of stability of BC's with double tanks due to no plate to add stability. Thats why I like Zeagle - holes with standard 11" gromets so you can mount a plate when diving doubles.

I'm not sure if the BC's you listed work like this, but with the older Zeagle Tech, you can simply remove the cam bands, add a plate, and bolt in a set of doubles. Quite easy actually.
Wanna buy one?

I'm not sure if the BC's you listed work like this, but with the older Zeagle Tech, you can simply remove the cam bands, add a plate, and bolt in a set of doubles. Quite easy actually.
Wanna buy one?

older newer - I dont think it makes a difference. Zeagle Ranger has same potential

Zeagles are fine with a crotch strap, without a backplate. The tanks are the backplate.

Jackets can be sloppy, but a lot of people wear ones that don't fit or are adjusted incorrectly.

I haven't used them with anything bigger than double 80s in both aluminium and steel.

I think that's as high as they are rated anyway.

Some jackets used to have full harness with the shoulder straps coming out of one location at the top of the plastic bac pac which is far more comfortable and fits everyone correctly.
Some still do.

Unlike the current system where the straps are set to far apart because the location of the slots is governed by the V in the plate.

I've used small doubles (Poseidon 2x6L 300 bar) with a SeaQuest Pro QD. Works like a charm. No adapter, just drilled the holes in the plastic back plate a bit larger and used long bolts and large washers on either side.

I wonder that it would secure properly without a wedge to fill the space between the plastic plate and the bands so you could really tighten it? kinda like in the pic below (well I guess it did)
... (my bands are stainless steel, look like regular doubles bands except have that curved piece to fit into the single tank area bulilt in)

aqua.explorers.tank.bands.b.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom