Double tanks with regular BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The set I used has regular steel bands. I tightened the bolts until both tanks were resting tightly against the plastic plate. No room for movement whatsoever.

How often do you guys dive doubles? Do the pros outweigh the cons? I mean, obviously you would lose some maneuverability and added weight.

I've always been intrigued by the idea, but never tried it. I would like the extra bottom time.

If they're small, but bigger than your single and you have the right suit, and you don't have to walk to far, and you go more sideways than down.

It's TERRIFIC.

But if you just want to go for a quick splash it's not.

I took a set in for a fill today and I'm rethinking that unless you're immersed they're a pain.

If they're small, but bigger than your single and you have the right suit, and you don't have to walk to far, and you go more sideways than down.

It's TERRIFIC.

But if you just want to go for a quick splash it's not.

I took a set in for a fill today and I'm rethinking that unless you're immersed they're a pain.

Makes sense. I know how heavy one tank can be and I'm not a weakling. :) Didn't mean to hijack, I have just always been interested in the concept.

I'm just going to go with a new DSS rig, thanks. I was really intrested in the concept but it seems its the wrong tool for the job!

I wonder that it would secure properly without a wedge to fill the space between the plastic plate and the bands so you could really tighten it? kinda like in the pic below (well I guess it did)
... (my bands are stainless steel, look like regular doubles bands except have that curved piece to fit into the single tank area bulilt in)

aqua.explorers.tank.bands.b.jpg

In response to your first sentence, in bold above....

Never underestimate the odd things you'll see some people doing while diving...

example: check out this doubles setup....

beer-can_doubles.jpg

I wonder that it would secure properly without a wedge to fill the space between the plastic plate and the bands so you could really tighten it? kinda like in the pic below (well I guess it did)
... (my bands are stainless steel, look like regular doubles bands except have that curved piece to fit into the single tank area bulilt in)

aqua.explorers.tank.bands.b.jpg
Sir, can you tell me where I can find a setup like you pictured?

When I first started wearing doubles in the late 70's early 80's we used a plastic backpack with a horse collar then upgraded to using bcd's as they got more popular. I currently have a 2 plates but I was really just as happy in my old Seatec Bluefin. The only thing thats easier with the backplates is carrying deco gas. I would probably avoid the Black Diamond because it puts the tanks up a little which makes them shift on your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom