Doubles set LP 95'S or HP steel 100's ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all im going to buy a set of doubles and was wondering what you all think. First a little about what I want to do and dive and then my height, weight and other stuff.

Dive:
South Florida wrecks up to 200fsw
wetsuit and dry suit diving (winter)
trimix and occasionaly nitrox depending on MOD.
Taking Normoxic trimix in a few months.
7inch diameter prefered for boat.

Me:
6'2
200lbs
long legs and wide shoulders
good sac rate

I looking for people who dive either of these size tanks and would like to know about bouyancy, trim, on boat handling, etc, etc. I have fillexpress shop which is my LDS and they have a doubles setup for xs worthington steel HP 100's for a little over $900, I use single worthington steel HP 120's for single rig diving but for doubles would like to know a good brand other than those, Faber are very heavy tanks but could be an option. Thanks all.

Either should do fine. Personally i would get the LP95s just for the fact that when in cave country I could get more cubic feet of gas in them with the standard overfill.

huh? 7in diameter? the standard tank diameter sizes are 7.25 and 8, also doubles wont necessarily fit in racks meant for single tanks. Lp95's have a 8inch diamter I believe, and hp100's have a 7.25 inch diameter. With you being fairly tall I would recommend maybe even something a little bigger than lp95's possibly lp108's?

For your size you probably would trim out a little better with the HP100s. If you want 7" tanks your option would be LP85s, but then you're looking at less gas unless you can get a nice overfill. That might not be too tough in FL. As far as brands go, the faber FX100 is an alternative to the worthingtons.

LP95s are pretty short and fat.

Of course, you could ask the instructor you're taking the trimix course with for some advice on this too.

$900 seems like a lot - i've bought several sets of 95s for $400-500.

I noticed that you said that Fabers were heavy, must be talking about the LP ones ?
.... the Faber FX 100 have a slightly lighter weight/better buoyancy characteristic than the comparable Worthington X7 100
... this might help ... Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

HP 100's and LP95's are both short and both trim about the same. The 100's are lighter and better sutied to boat diving but the LP95's when over filled to 3600 psi hold 130 cu ft, and 260 cu ft is nice to have.

Hp 100's are about 33 pounds, Faber LP 95's are around 38 pounds, and PST and worthington LP95's are about 43 pounds. For the same 43 pounds and an inch or so more in height than an LP 95, you an get an HP 130 and have 260 cu feet in north or south florida.

Double LP95's make sense in North Florida and are only 10 pounds heavier per set than double HP 100's. HP130's would be 10 pounds heavier than 95's and 20 pounds heavier than HP100's, but are not a bad choice if you only have one set.

Personally, I have 2 sets each of both HP100's and LP 95's.

Greetings Black1 and I have had the opportunity to dive both. Enjoyed them both I am 5'10 190 lbs. Do you have the opportunity to dive different sets for a comparison?
You might wish to try on some longer tanks with your height, do you have two 120's?
You might consider putting them together, I started with 72's and then tried anything I could. In the water you will be amazed how with a little weighting for trim purposes and tank band adjustment can make different sized doubles comfortable and easy to dive. Out of the water is where any sized doubles seem heavy and cumbersome.
Try before you buy if you can, talk to local divers and see what sizes you will need for your planned dives. Have fun and enjoy the research. Double are a lot like a drug that is 100% addictive. You will end up having more than one set!
Make sure you are properly trained for the appropriate skills and techniques for use with doubles.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

For boat diving in S Florida, 200' and less, I'd recommend the Faber 85's as well. At 6'2" you'll find the 95's too short...they'll be a pain to suit up and make you too top heavy in the water.
I'd also get a set of standard Al 80's to use when not diving dry.....really not too expensive....2 used 80's $80 each (in hydro), bands $100 and manifold $150.

Back
Top Bottom