Question Downsizing from FF to either a6600 or RX100 VII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xterra

Contributor
Reaction score
currently shooting the A7RIV in the Nauticam a2020 housing, with the WWL1-b and 2 Inon Z330 strobes. While it is a fantastic setup it has become a real major pain in the rear (my back) to travel with international.

Too heavy and too bulky even when broken down.
So here goes my question, I now want to downgrade especially the weight! I narrowed it to either go Compact Sony RX100 VII in the Nauticam housing ( the WWL-1b may no longer work with it)? NA-RX100VII = 1.09 kg not sure what it maybe with the flextray and handles which port to choose?
Can a CMC-1 be added for macro?

Or go with the Sony a6600 (Nauticam NA-A6600 = 1.65kg) and kit lens 16-50 PZ and keep my WWL-1b and for macro just add the CMC-1 ?

Also I will go back to single strobe shooting (One Z330) it was sufficient back before I added a second one for redundancy.

Any thoughts on Image quality comparing the 2 considering the kit lens for the a6600 and other input to consider?

Thanks.

I shoot with an A6000 in a Nauticam housing underwater. On various trips, I have used either the 16-55mm PZ "Kit lens" or a combination of the Sony/Zeiss 16-70 f/4 and the Sony 10-18mm f/4 lenses. The nice thing about the combination of the 16-70 & the 10-18 lenses is that they use the same dome port. The nice thing about the 16-55 PZ kit lens is that it makes for a smaller overall system (both in and out of the water). Ultimately, I have decided to go with the kit lens and I am selling the 16-70 lens, the 10-18 lens & the dome port. I am very happy with the performance of these lenses, and I am doing this strictly to make my package smaller

To be honest, after shooting an A7Riv, I am not sure that you would be happy with the results that you might get from an RX100 series camera. (Are you planning on keeping your A7Riv for use above the surface?)

One final thought, and this is nothing more than my opinion, but I would not be too quick about selling one of your strobes. IMHO, I would rather be running a pair of strobes and have more coverage than only a single strobe & the coverage that it would give me.

Dropping from A7R IV to A6600 would save you about 1.3kg of dry weight, another 300g if you go from WWL-1B to WWL-C. I'm not sure it's worth the loss of image quality and autofocus performance.

Have you considered going with a fisheye lens for your wide-angle needs? A Canon 8-15mm can work with very small domes such as Nauticam 4.33" or Zen DP100. You could even fit a Tokina 10-17mm - it's an APS-C lens, but some people shave off its built-in hood and use it on full-frame.

I could swap my TG4 for yours...

Just kidding. But it is true I am considering to do the reverse step you are planning to do, but I have strong concerns about weight and travel friendliness.

Dropping from A7R IV to A6600 would save you about 1.3kg of dry weight, another 300g if you go from WWL-1B to WWL-C. I'm not sure it's worth the loss of image quality and autofocus performance.

Have you considered going with a fisheye lens for your wide-angle needs? A Canon 8-15mm can work with very small domes such as Nauticam 4.33" or Zen DP100. You could even fit a Tokina 10-17mm - it's an APS-C lens, but some people shave off its built-in hood and use it on full-frame.
Thanks, its not just the housing itself, its the entire setup, FF glass weighs a LOT more. The idea is giving up on FF entirely even topside. Keep in mind I backpack around the globe and airline restrictions for carry on have gotten a real pain as well, besides carrying the gear around. I don't just plop down in a dive resort, and have a sherpa lug it there for me. :)

How about going to a Sony A7c - It's basically the same size as the a6600, its 28-60 kit lens works beautifully with the WWL. Full frame, 24mp, 4k 30. It's what I shoot, including the Z330s. Reef photo and video has a short review of the setup .

Just to throw something out there that you might not have thought of, but did you consider M4/3? There are some definite compromises, but if the size and weight of your gear is a major decision, then this set up might be an option:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom