DPV class video - this doesn't seem right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being fully slip streamed isn't as much of an issue for OW diving. Minimizing being torqued left or right is what this method really benefits. They're not high up causing drag there and not pulling from either side. You can easily drift out to either side for whatever reason and then right back on tow. We do this getting to the site and are often looking at other things. Being neck seal deep in your buddy's asshọle doesn't offer many good views. Again, rec diving with no ceiling.

Edit: you must be a GUE guy where there is only 1 way to do things. My experience and my ways work well for me and the people I dive with. Happy to share them with you.
Works for me is so intellectually lazy.

Edit: you must be a GUE guy where there is only 1 way to do things.
This has been a good discussion so far. Not sure why people have to go and ruin it by adding in dumb sh-t. I mean hell you added an edit just to make a very stupid comment. I was actually enjoying reading your responses, but then you just made me shake my head and think twice.
I wish people would just keep their ridiculous comments to themselves and let these good discussions carry on.
You're better than that. Do better.

This has been a good discussion so far. Not sure why people have to go and ruin it by adding in dumb sh-t. I mean hell you added an edit just to make a very stupid comment. I was actually enjoying reading your responses, but then you just made me shake my head and think twice.
I wish people would just keep their ridiculous comments to themselves and let these good discussions carry on.
You're better than that. Do better.
I only added the edit because he continued brow beat a single solution rather than accepting other routes to success. I see this often with the GUE DIR or die crowd. I've seen this in person at dive sites where a GUE diver refused to buddy because they weren't set up for team diving. Not all are like that but enough are to make note of it.

My method works wonderful for the types of dives I make with my group of friends. It allows for easy towing if you don't want to fin for awhile and the handle easily retracts up and out of the way. We're not doing penetration do getting hung up isn't an issue.

Reactions: L13
I only added the edit because he continued brow beat a single solution rather than accepting other routes to success. I see this often with the GUE DIR or die crowd. I've seen this in person at dive sites where a GUE diver refused to buddy because they weren't set up for team diving. Not all are like that but enough are to make note of it.

My method works wonderful for the types of dives I make with my group of friends. It allows for easy towing if you don't want to fin for awhile and the handle easily retracts up and out of the way. We're not doing penetration do getting hung up isn't an issue.

The edit was there when I replied…

The edit was there when I replied…
The edit was there 30 seconds after I posted to clarify. Didn't want you thinking I'm not open minded. Your single track method is underwhelming.

I have no issue with your method of scootering or your banter with the other guy.
The problem lately is scubaboard has actually had some very good technical diving questions come up with very good responses. It always gets broken down by the people who add in snide comments about GUE. More importantly, most of them have not even had a direct interaction with anyone GUE trained. Some people like berndo and another guy have had actual in-person interactions to base their comments. I may disagree, but I can respect that they're at least talking from personal experience. Its the people parroting what they hear at dive sites that gets old. I don't care if people hate GUE, PADI, RAID, or whatever agency. Hell I don't care if people make fun of GUE. Alot of times its funny as hell and I would frequent a thread that was just all jokes and memes about GUE. I just hate when people disrupt conversations that may actually help someone by making dumb unrelated comments. Lately that is done by the GUE hating members. And I'm at the point where I just point it out so maybe it'll stop and we can have continued good discussions. The above was a generalization, not specifically targeted at you

I have no issue with your method of scootering or your banter with the other guy.
The problem lately is scubaboard has actually had some very good technical diving questions come up with very good responses. It always gets broken down by the people who add in snide comments about GUE. More importantly, most of them have not even had a direct interaction with anyone GUE trained. Some people like berndo and another guy have had actual in-person interactions to base their comments. I may disagree, but I can respect that they're at least talking from personal experience. Its the people parroting what they hear at dive sites that gets old. I don't care if people hate GUE, PADI, RAID, or whatever agency. Hell I don't care if people make fun of GUE. Alot of times its funny as hell and I would frequent a thread that was just all jokes and memes about GUE. I just hate when people disrupt conversations that may actually help someone by making dumb unrelated comments. Lately that is done by the GUE hating members. And I'm at the point where I just point it out so maybe it'll stop and we can have continued good discussions. The above was a generalization, not specifically targeted at you
I really like a lot of the DIR methods but have modified them to better suit my style of solo diving. I use what I have available and make it the best I can. OW shore diving in cold and dark water makes for wonderful dives. Self reliant buddy diving is near a must here unless you start right on their shoulder. Dual scoots makes for easy lost buddies. Sometimes it's just easier to take one and tow out/back for us through the murk.

I see this often with the GUE DIR or die crowd. I've seen this in person at dive sites where a GUE diver refused to buddy because they weren't set up for team diving. Not all are like that but enough are to make note of it.
Accurate, but people will call this 'hating' on them.

I just hate when people disrupt conversations that may actually help someone by making dumb unrelated comments. Lately that is done by the GUE hating members.
If conversations weren't 'disrupted', every other thread would just be the same 'this is how it's done right' fest. The second I saw this thread I knew this was a tee-up for the usual suspects. I'm not buying that the OP was actually asking anything.

I'm considering taking a DPV class to gain some confidence using scooters, and I came across this video on YouTube:

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to DPVs, but this doesn't look right to me.

- Why are they holding on with two hands?
- And why not let the DPV leash pull them, instead of the arms - the leash looks slack?
- Lastly: that DPV towing position does not look very effective?
A DPV course could be good. But if it's a local dive shop with an instructor who don't know anything about scooters and just thinks it might be another way to sign up students, letting people mess around on a cheap scooter, then it wouldn't be very good. The latter kind of classes most definitely exist. Look into the details of your class first. You might have to teach yourself instead.

The two hands thing is weird because one hand is not just resting on the shroud, people in the video are at least sometimes gripping the front edge of the shroud with fingers wrapped around it. That's potentially unpleasant for the fingertips.

No one should be pulled along by a scooter handle, at least on a scooter like this (the glorified pool toys are different; you'll hold onto them with both hands, and be pulled around). The rope should indeed be pulling you with its attachment to your climbing harness (or to your special overpriced accessory sold by the scooter manufacturer.) Your hand isn't on the handle to be pulled, it's there to control the direction of the scooter. And to have your thumb on the trigger. Given that, your arm wouldn't be straight out from being pulled.

The position the people are in relative to the scooters is approximately normal.

One thing about Dive Xtras Blacktips is that it would be more convenient if they were retrofitted with another handle going out on the left, so you can hold on with both hands, and reach the trigger with either thumb. Not that you always want to hold on with two hands, but it makes it easier to switch arms from time to time. There are some such options made by people in the Blacktip DPV community; the Facebook group has information.

The reason for buying Blacktips is that most cheaper scooters aren't much more than toys, and most better scooters are way more expensive. When Blacktips originally came out they annoyed some owners (but not all of us) due to not being trim, but there are newer, longer versions that are horizontal when floating in midwater, as opposed to being somewhat nose up.

My scooter looks prettier than these, since it's tricked out in vinyl wrap, and some people really go overboard. Oh, I made a funny!

Back
Top Bottom