DPVs, Scooters - Toys or tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tool (like the rest of my dive gear - except the rebreather which is a toy) - though also great fun.

I have a 2nd hand Mako with beefed up nose plate - several friends have bought DPV's and then sold them because they don't use them enough to justify ownership and simply enjoy swimming more.

Duncan

If in open water on a reel at 15 feet doing a safety stop/deco, how negative are DPVs? Or do you just do slow circles watching your depth gauge. Do you shot your lift bag instead and if so, is a 50 Lb bag enough? Do you need to use some of your drysuit or BCD lift as well.

tinman once bubbled...
If in open water on a reel at 15 feet doing a safety stop/deco, how negative are DPVs?

Your DPV should be weighted to be neutral. Mine hangs beside me clipped to my crotch strap. It gets in the way a bit but you get used to it.

Tom

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Ours are just a touch negative (ounces) in salt and hang down out of the way.

Obviously that has advantages but I like mine neutral because we generally ride down to the wrecks then clip off the scooter, often in a place where you wouldn't want it to sink as it would then be inside the wreck.

I think its a preference issue based on typical dive type.

Tom

I agree UP:

The DPV I'm learning to use will travel at up to 3 knotts. Way too fast for just keeping up with my dive buddy.

I think the instructor was mostly concerned with me being able to comfortably keep up with my dive buddy or deal with currents.

I doubt that I'll need a DPV very often. I can't justify the cost of one, and don't really want to pay to rent one if it isn't needed.

Towing a dead DPV isn't my idea of fun.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
James... a tool... that you really don't need. On most rec. dives I expend very little energy... instead of swimming about madly, go with the flow dude. After you get diving down pat then you can use the tool to extend your range and gas supply.... however... this tool bites.... it can get you a long way from home... with a long swim back if things go sideways.

You won't find any current in Hood Canal. And you should restrict your diving to non-current areas... relying on a scooter to replace swimming strength is a bad idea IMO.

As for keeping up with buddies... buddy teams should be taught to move at the pace of the slowest individual... it is not up to the slowest to keep up... it is the responsibility of the other(s) to *stay with.*

That is why I said learn buoyancy control and alternate finning techniques. Most folks thrash around frenetically because if they quit moving they sink or pop... hopefully you can find a buddy who also has enough buoyancy control that they don't need to be in constant motion.

tinman once bubbled...
PADI: I'm amazed that DPVs haven't been added to the Specialities list...everything else has. A new revenue stream just waiting to be branded, packaged & priced. Sorry, one of my former lives was as a New Products Manager - slipped out of diver mode for a minute, sorry for the lapse (I'd be happy to write the business plan for a price!)

Obviously you haven't checked them out in awhile. :wink:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/diverpropulsion.asp

Marc :jester:

FLL: I stand corrected. Another business opportunity missed...

3rd user: The DIY project builder.
Designs one, builds one,(why: cause he can) tests it , parks it, and moves on to the next project.

I've got one.
Welded aluminum cannister,
2 x 2 speed shakespear trolling motors.
2x 12volt 25 AH Gates sealed lead acid batteries.
1 toggle switch main power,(and secondary kill switch)
1 toggle switch hi/lo speed
1 spring loaded dead man on/off switch. This is on an ikelite camera control rod to a DC angle grinder trigger switch.

It's ballasted in fresh water (with a 3 lb wt) to be be 1lb negative, so you could have it 2 lb possitve if you like.

Tinman if you're intersted PM me, and make m an offer , it's just collecting dust in my work shop.
It runs at about 2 mph on hi and 1 mph on lo speed settings.
It needs a little work, one battery has a dead cell I think.

MikeD
:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom