Dr. Sanjay - stick to medicine, Stay away from Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i bet next time he'll improvise a dive without a regulator...
i wonder who gave him his C-card!!!

JahJahwarrior:
I'm certain there was no compressor on the islands, so they had at minimum 160 cubic feet of gas......assuming standard 80's. That's not much time underwater. With that little gas, I'd freedive down :)

And I really don't see the problem with them diving without the "proper" equipment. Holding your own tank isn't that difficult, and there were two of them. Also, I generally don't get mad at people for making choices like that, especially if they have diving experience under their belt. If thelocal divers wouldn't crucify me for it, I might try making my own tank holding thing with a board and some rope or webbing from motorcycle tie downs. But, the scuba industry being what it is, I really would likely be crucified for it :)

You are right! But that only works for you or I - the unknowns. If you are a public figure you must project a different type of attitude/professionalism. It's like if you tried crack - it's OK you'll get over it, but the fact the Bushie is on it - that's a problem. Same with our athletes - Bondses, Vicks, Crackboys....

pteranodon:
PADiver -- Relax. Now we all know that you were a good dive student and actually read your course materials and obeyed the instructor's word. Good for you. Now chill out and recognize that these guys didn't do this to complete another silly dive industry specialty but to make an expedition to one of the most remote locations on the planet to document the ocean's beauty we are about to destroy. For us "regular" divers, who call a vacation on a fully-catered live-aboard an "adventure", it may seem dangerous and against the rules what those guys did. I'm not saying we should admire them, and yes, who knows whether they just spaced out to take enough gear, but regardless, who CARES? They had a goal and the diving part was only a means to an end. They didn't put any lives in danger other than their own, did they?

Actually you are wrong. I was never a good student. I am the one that pushes the limits of sanity all the time when diving. But I do not showcase it nor do I advocate it. The only reason I am alive today is because I was smart when picking out my buddy - he is the complete opposite of me - conservative and by the book.

The one thing I don’t understand isn’t he the chief health adviser for CNN, then why is he doing this dive report? Did CNN decide to lay off their other correspondent who would normally do stories like this?
Given a benefit of doubt maybe Dr. Sanjay Gupta is adventurous and it might make a good office story why is CNN publishing it for readers.

This just sounds absurd to me………….. or some reporting blunder.

ereediver:
Medical Doctor, three person crew, no dive gear prior to leaving, to do a geological investigation.......... Hmmmmm sounds somewhat suspect to me.
The objective was to get some pretty pictures to go along with pushing a predetermined conclusion. There was never any investigation intended.
Rick

jtoorish:
I would suggest a producer with "more that a year" of diving is dangerous, unless she did a heck of a lot of divers in that year.
That probably wasn't the type of experience they were talking about ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom