Drift Dive in SD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wkndbum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If anybody gets the chance & you feel up to it, a drift dive below the dam @ Ft Randall near Pixtown, South Dakota is really a thrill.

Went last Sunday with a group that had a lot of experience with the dive & it was a HOOT! Lots of huge Walleye & Paddlefish. The whole dive only lasts about 12 to 15 min but
what a trip.

Must have dive flag for each buddy team or solo diver, compass, knife & ankle weights, besides your normal gear. This is diving from a boat.

I'll post "local dive site info" as soon as I can.

Anybody have any ?, they can PM me also.

Terry

Was that for the State spearfishing contest or something on that lines. I think 3 LDS put it on 1 in Sioux Falls and 2 in Nebraska.

How was the visibility? My father and I were thinking about venturing up that way to check out the diving. I dove in Platte this past weekend and it was pure mucky nothing :(

-Eric.

Platte has always been pretty poor for visibility - normally like thin coffee.

I have not been to Ft Randall in a couple years but I have been to Pierre a couple times this summer to do some drift diving below Oahe. The visibility has not been great with about 10 ft max due to the low water level on Oahe. August is a good month for drift diving in the tailraces at both Pickstown and Pierre as the walleye are usually there in large numbers.

The water clarity gets worse as you go North so I'm told. Lake Saskawea is really low, Where we used to find 50 ft of water you're lucky to find 15 off the face of the dam.

bl|nk:
Was that for the State spearfishing contest or something on that lines. I think 3 LDS put it on 1 in Sioux Falls and 2 in Nebraska.

How was the visibility? My father and I were thinking about venturing up that way to check out the diving. I dove in Platte this past weekend and it was pure mucky nothing :(

-Eric.

Yea, the Spearfishing tournament was Sat. We did the drift below the dam on Sun. Vis was 8' - 12' @ 25' above & about 6' to 10' below.
We dove the wall above the dam by Francis Bay Sun morning, @ 93' vis was 2' with a light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom