Drift diving from shore in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read several posts and recommendations about drift diving from one shore entry to another in Bonaire. I'd like to do this with my wife on our upcoming trip in September, but I'm not quite sure how it'll work. From those that describe the logistics, they tend to be larger groups or pairs of males. I don't trust leaving my wife by herself while I retrieve the truck. And she's a wee slip of a thing so I wouldn't expect her to march back with gear. Anyone solved for this type of scenario?

Nothing will happen to your wife by herself while you get the truck. Bonaire might have a petty crime problem, but it's rare that someone has his wife stolen in broad daylight.

On the other hand, and more importantly, how will you know when you reach the next dive site? There are no signs that indicate where to turn to get out of the water. If you overshoot it, you'll have to swim back against current. Underwater, it all pretty much looks the same, even more so to a new diver. You'll want to make sure you're very familiar with any identifying landmarks and be able to recall exactly how they appeared when you're heading that direction. In the south, it's not as much a problem since you walkout onto the beach. In places in the north where your only way back up to the truck might involve a ladder or stairs, precision is key. (You could always surface every so often to see where you are, but that's not a very good idea as far as decompression goes).

Perhaps that answers it, and it would be best undertaken if (and when) we get more familiar with the underwater landmarks.

Oh, and I'm not worried about what someone might do to her. It's the damage she can do when left alone. For, you see, she has powers. Incredible powers.

I agree with Mossman that drift diving in the southern part of the island is going to be a whole lot easier than on the north side. In the middle section, the diving is great also, but since there are numerous hotels and dive ops from Capt Don's Habitat south to Leh Dehman and you might have a problem finding a good spot to get out of the water. Last year our group drifted from the Habitat south to the Sand Dollar and got out of the water at the Sand Dollar planning on having lunch there. Unfortunately, the dive op owner at the Sand Dollar was a real *%$#*^@ and pitched a fit that we used his stairs to exit the water. He basically told us that since we were not guests at the hotel or were using his dive op then we could not use his facilities. He would not even let us park our gear while we ate. So we left, and will not set foot on their property in the future. Their loss!

Perhaps that answers it, and it would be best undertaken if (and when) we get more familiar with the underwater landmarks.
Given that the currents are so mild in Bonaire, it's really not necessary. Maybe after you get bored diving the 50 or so regular sites too many times, but that will be a while.

The prominent drift dive in Bonaire is from La Dania's Leap AFAIK, because at that site you can't get back out where you jumped in. Or maybe I'm thinking of Rappel. Who knows? I obviously haven't done either :) Whatever dive it is, you can hire a guide at a reasonable cost to successfully take you on the drift.

Otherwise, most of my dives in Bonaire are half drift dive in that I swim against the current in one direction than let the current drift me back to my starting point when we're at half a tank. I'll make the return shallower in order to see different stuff and ensure enough air to get back. Practice memorizing your starting place since not all sites have buoys and sometimes those can be hard to spot depending on your depth.

Oh, and I'm not worried about what someone might do to her. It's the damage she can do when left alone. For, you see, she has powers. Incredible powers.
Every diver should carry duct tape. A few wraps around the ankles, a few wraps around the wrists behind her back, and a strip across the mouth and she'll be trussed up and waiting for you when you return. (Note: I don't suggest this as a normal agency sanctioned buddy activity. Please be aware that duct taping the mouth has certain risks including, but not limited to, suffocation and death. Even if she's your wife, I recommend you at least have her sign a duct tape waiver.)

I agree with Mossman that drift diving in the southern part of the island is going to be a whole lot easier than on the north side. In the middle section, the diving is great also, but since there are numerous hotels and dive ops from Capt Don's Habitat south to Leh Dehman and you might have a problem finding a good spot to get out of the water. Last year our group drifted from the Habitat south to the Sand Dollar and got out of the water at the Sand Dollar planning on having lunch there. Unfortunately, the dive op owner at the Sand Dollar was a real *%$#*^@ and pitched a fit that we used his stairs to exit the water. He basically told us that since we were not guests at the hotel or were using his dive op then we could not use his facilities. He would not even let us park our gear while we ate. So we left, and will not set foot on their property in the future. Their loss!
Please don't take Andre's attitude out on the "property", whether it's the Sand Dollar Condos, a very popular place to stay, or Den Laman Condos, my favorite place to stay. The owner of the dock happens to be the owner of the dive shop between the two condo facilities, Bonaire Dive & Adventure. Besides Andre (who's always been nice to me BTW when I've stayed at Den Laman and bought the BDA nitrox package, but I've heard rumors that's he's not always Mr. Friendly), BDA is unpopular for their long briefings (zzzzzzzzzz), limited gear room hours (soon to be fixed I hear), and I didn't care for their boat dives because you have to assemble your gear after you arrive at the dive site with the boat bouncing in all directions. Their air and nitrox taste just fine and tank swapping is easy with their facility in the parking lot, plus I've always been able to use the dock as a paying customer, but I can see why those unaware of the dock restriction might be put off.

That said, it's simple to walk out on the little sandy area next to the dock, not any different than the southern shore diving. Also, BDA isn't the only facility that restricts use of their dock as I believe either Buddy or Capt. Don's do the same to some extent (they might just require a signed waiver or prior permission, I forget).

Coincidentally, we're staying at Den Laman and indeed have the Nitrox package from BDA.

La Dania -> Karpata was the main drift I was thinking of. But I also like the idea of make-your-own via a swim against the current on the way out, then a drift with current as part of the return.

The Lake past Hilma Hooker to Angel City is a nice drift on the southern end. If you can't tell when you are past Hilma Hooker then you have navigation problems that will not be solved on this forum! :)

The South end of the Island is probably a better choice for drifting since finding a place to get out will be easier. We did an unintentional drift from Wayaka 2 to close to Wayaka 1 when current swept us past the entrance to the bay. We were forced to exit over dead staghorn coral, a very bad idea in any but the calmest conditions. Another drift we did intentionally was from Bari to Buddy's.

That said, it's simple to walk out on the little sandy area next to the dock, not any different than the southern shore diving. Also, BDA isn't the only facility that restricts use of their dock as I believe either Buddy or Capt. Don's do the same to some extent (they might just require a signed waiver or prior permission, I forget).

From what I've heard, and this is only hearsay so take it with a grain of salt. Buddy's will let you dive off of their dock, surface there or whatever. Cap'n Don isn't so friendly. Actually tried to charge a couple that accidentally tried to use his dock as an exit. I wasn't involved so I can't say how truthful it is. But I do know divers that have stayed at Cap'n Dons but used Buddy's for the diving. The best thing is just chill, let the belly-aching slid off your back. Flash them a peace sign and tell them that you love em. THAT will really get under their skin.

On the bright side, she can do very little damage to the charge card if you leave her alone, at nearly all the sites. :wink:

Of course, a really determined woman.......:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom