Drift Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious...
I've seen it in print, I've seen it on threads, I've seen it referenced in articles, but I've never seen it EXPLAINED. What the heck is drift diving? Ok, I know the word drift and I know the word diving, but perhaps one of you experienced, edu-ma-cated types would be willing to provide a concise explanation as to why that seems to be a specialty, please? I'll just sit back and wait for the flood. Don't get too technical on me please, it makes my brain hurt.
Thanks

Lets see.

1. every body gets off the boat together
2. everyone goes down together
3. everyone groups together at the bottom
4. everyone drifts along together letting the current carry them, finning mostly to
stay together or dodge items. The current does most of the work.
5. at the determined air level, everyone surfaces together.
6. boat comes and everyone gets back on the boat.
7. SI and repeat.

Hows that? :)

Welcome to the board.

Basically,
It is when the dive site has a current that you incorporate into your dive plan.
You get to use it as a means to propel you through your dive.
Leaving you only to orientate your self and use your bouyancy skills to improve your viewing pleasure. Ahh

Not quite Herman, drift diving can be done several different ways. A lot of it depends on the location or the dive operation.
For example in Cozumel, probably one of the best drift diving locations it's pretty normal for buddy's or single divers making the ascent before the whole group heads on up.
Depending on the current, and especially if it's a wall dive and there isn't "a bottom" then there isn't a big group up "on the bottom"-And frankly there never should be
But to answer the question posted
Drift diving means you're going with the current so wether you're diving from a boat or shore your exit is going to be in different place then where you entered the water. In most cases, when you surface you hope the boat is there waiting for you, however you'll see why a SMB and a reel/spool is always a good idea, plus a whistle and a Dive Alert.
There are some advantages to drifting along the reef, little kicking usually results in better air consumption for most. You get to see more acreage and can often get a better idea of what the "lay of the land" is.
Some photographers will shy away from drfit diving 'cause it can make getting some shots a little more difficult, wide angle is the way to go.
I'm sure there are some threads that someone here can point you to.
Although drift diving isn't one of my favorites certainly everyone should experience at least once or twice. Spend a week in Cozumel and you'll come away a pro at drift diving.

The way we drift dive in Florida is like this:

Buddy pairs or small groups have a flag on a bouy (FL LAW).

From a boat, we enter the water with our small group or buddy pairs. The boat usually drops you right on the reef.

You drift with the current (hopefully along the reef in the correct direction) and you see A LOT more of the reef with less effort, giving you better bottom time.

If I want to shoot some video, it's usually not hard to swim against the current and stay stationary for a while. Generally, swimming against the current is a bad idea.

Strange, our Coz DM pretty much insisted we stay together thoughout the dive. What I described is pretty much the way it happen with our group in Coz and in Fla for that matter. The only difference was we pulled a flag in Fla and were in smaller groups.
He ask for basics, bottom- planned depth- whatever, same basic thing.

herman:
Strange, our Coz DM pretty much insisted we stay together thoughout the dive. What I described is pretty much the way it happen with our group in Coz and in Fla for that matter. The only difference was we pulled a flag in Fla and were in smaller groups.
He ask for basics, bottom- planned depth- whatever, same basic thing.
If someone comes with me on a drift dive, I tell them that if they need to surface, follow the line to the surface, and surface near the buoy/flag. It's a good idea to carry a safety sausage and a reel on a drift dive, in case you are seperated from the guy with the flag.

ok, everybody's covered it, but hey...

regular dive: you leave boat, dive, get back to where boat is anchored

drift dive: you get in the water, drift with the current, and the boat comes and
picks you up at end of dive. they can follow along, or they can just stay
anchored and come get you when you surface.

of course, from shore, you would enter the water, drift with the current, then
exit down current.... hopefully you've arranged for motorized pick up, or you gonna
be walking :wink:

H2Andy:
of course, from shore, you would enter the water, drift with the current, then
exit down current.... hopefully you've arranged for motorized pick up, or you gonna
be walking :wink:

This we haven't tried yet... But in Rafting, we call it "running shuttle" - we have discussed trying to drift from our place to Marvel's.

For drift dives from shore, we will bring two cars. Park one downstream, drive to our entry upstream, and go diving. We have some underwater landmarks to tell us where to get out to avoid a long hike.

We have another shore dive that has a nice little back-current near the river's edge that carries us in a circle back to our entry point. Very convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom