Drive from San Juan to Parguera, PR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkiDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I have a business trip to San Juan in April, and I'd like to dive Parguera wall. (I dove Desecheo last year and it was amazing.) I have a meeting that lasts until 9 or 10pm on a Monday night and would like to dive Tues.

From what I understand, it's much more likely that I'll be able to dive the wall if I do the morning dives, rather than the afternoon dives. West Divers has its meet-up at 7:15 and the boat leaves at 7:30, so I'd want to get there by 7am at the latest.

How early will I need to leave San Juan (I'll be at the Caribe Hilton, near Old San Juan and Condado). How long of a drive is it? Mapquest says just under 2hrs., and West Divers told me on the phone 2.5 hrs. I'm planning on renting a car, am comfortable w/PR driving, and will have a GPS and driving directions from the dive shop to help guide me.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone stayed at La Parguera Guest House? Is it ok? I'm looking for one night of clean, convenient, budget lodging for one person. Any other recommendations welcome.

As I remember it, the distance is not the problem, it is the speed limit that is the limiting factor, and parts of it, the terrain. Plan on giving yourself the 2.5 hours especially if you are driving to make a boat. I dove with Parguera Divers, but I understand that they are no longer in operation.

Have fun.

We actually also stayed at the Carib Hilton, and drove a rental mini-van to La Parquera. It was 2.5hr.

As Jim mentioned, it's not the distance. There are some hills (ok maybe small mountains) in the first stretch of road going south. You'll join a high way at the south, heading west. As you get closer, it will be smaller roads, through some towns. Then there are severals km of country roads into this little fishing village. Can't drive too fast on those roads.

I dove with both West Divers and Parquera Divers. I like Angel of Parquera Divers better, but they are no longer in business. West Divers will be your show.

Not sure if GPS will really help. Two weeks ago my work group was going for lunch. I printed a map off google, while everyone else had a GPS. I was the only one who didn't get lost because I didn't use GPS. It was in Toronto, urban center, not out in the boonies. So it was a case where GPS actually got people lost.

Here's my notes on driving down:

Drive from San Juan on Rd. 18, becomes Las Americas Toll Expressway, or Hi-way 52. On Highway 52, follow the signs to Caguas and then to Ponce. You should arrive in Ponce about 1.5-2 hours. Highway 52 circles Ponce to the South, and then ends as it connects with Road 2 towards Yauco and Mayagüez.

After leaving Ponce, heading west on Rd. 2, you will pass the towns of Guayanilla and Yauco. After passing the Yauco Plaza mall (K-mart, McDonald's, etc.) on the right side, you will drive under two overpass bridges - just after the second overpass, on the right side, there is exit #194 for Rd. 116 with signs for Guánica and La Parguera. Do not miss this exit, as you will have to drive 15-20 min before you can double back!

Once you are on Rd. 116 you pass the towns of Guánica and Ensenada. About 20-30 minutes after turning on to Rd. 116 you will find an intermittent traffic light at the intersection for Rd. 304, where you will turn left and the road will take you straight into La Parguera

Here's a map of S/W PR.

Also try Island Scuba in Playa Santa; Owner is Santos Ramirez. I went out with them in December when Copamarina did not have any trips operating.

FYI we got the Hertz GPS with our rental car and got there fine.

As mentioned above, give yourself plenty of time. At time of the morning you should not encounter much traffic, but it is always a bit unpredictable.

I grew up in Puerto Rico, but just went back after a number of years on November of 2007. Below is a link to my trip report.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ort-puerto-rico-1st-week-november-2007-a.html

I specifically bought a TomTomOne GPS because it included maps of PR. It worked great. I actually remember many of the roads I was on, but many have changed and the GPS map was for the most part up to date.

One great thing about the GPS is that you can make any turn (wrong turn or intentional) and the GPS will immediately recalculate the route.

In Parguera I dove with West Divers and Paradise Divers and they were both great. My preference would be West Divers.

For a place to stay in Parguera my preference would be Hotel Villa Parguera, but there are several other good places. Roxanna at West Divers can help you with lodging. They get a good rate from a guest house that is with in walking distance. I think they also get special rates with Villa Parguera.
PARADOR VILLA PARGUERA - PUERTO RICO

Have fun

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go for it. I guess I'll have to leave at about 4:30 to make a 7:30 boat.

And it looks like West Divers has a decent deal arranged with the guest house, so I'll try that.

Hi everyone,

Well, here I am in San Juan, getting ready for my trip to Parguera on Tues. morning. I'll copy down Torontonian's directions, and I have those from West Divers website, too.

Any suggestions on what to plug into my GPS unit? It can't seem to find West Divers or the guest house by name. (FWIW, it's a Garmin Nuvi).

Looking forward to the diving!

Parguera
Carretera 304
17.973998, -67.050226

Once you are in Parguera you can't get lost. It is basically a small village.

Taino Divers
Carretera 413
18.341796, -67.251391

Crash Boat Beach
18.458626, -67.163297

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom