drive to 5000ft. after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
thanks for the clarification tagaytay is indeed 600m. my estimate of 5000ish ft was a big exaggerated.
see post #2 :D

Spoon:
bro it takes me an hour and a half to get to tagaytay from anilao. and thats with traffic. i take this route going home 80% of the time

:sigh: Guess, my humor is a bet dense ... I know it wouldn't take you 24 hours to get there ....

But then again don't you stop for merienda and beers?:11:

DiveGolfSki:
:sigh: Guess, my humor is a bet dense ... I know it wouldn't take you 24 hours to get there ....

But then again don't you stop for merienda and beers?:11:

after diving i drive to tagaytay, diving usually ends around 3 to 4. have merienda and beer at the resort then drive to tagaytay for dinner. drive takes at least an hour and a half so im not ascending immediately. i guess the ascent takes place at the final 30 mins of the drive.

Spoon:
guys after diving i usually stay at our cabin at roughly 600m or 5000ish ft altitude. would this pose a problem? i do this 80% of the time and never had any problems yet i know people who have gotten the bends from doing this. where excatly do you draw the line on safe no altitude driving?

If you want to save yourself a tank ride somewhere in the future the best advice is to wait some time before driving to your cabin, at least untill you are in PG B (RDP or USN).
Another way is breathing 100% O2 for some time before you drive home. This will drive out the nitrogen ad accelerated speed.

ciao, mart

mart1:
If you want to save yourself a tank ride somewhere in the future the best advice is to wait some time before driving to your cabin, at least untill you are in PG B (RDP or USN).
Another way is breathing 100% O2 for some time before you drive home. This will drive out the nitrogen ad accelerated speed.

ciao, mart

i usually kill around 2 hours: cleaning gear, shower and snacks before leaving the resort. then takes another hour or so to get to the foot of the hill. i think this is a safe enough window. also if i know i had conservative dives during the day then it would be well within the safety margin.

Spoon:
after diving i drive to tagaytay, diving usually ends around 3 to 4. have merienda and beer at the resort then drive to tagaytay for dinner. drive takes at least an hour and a half so im not ascending immediately. i guess the ascent takes place at the final 30 mins of the drive.

Ok Spoon, I really didn't want a detailed time line from diving to Tagaytay but thanks for the info.

BTW, has Dr. Deco responded to this issue? I didn't think I noticed his response.

Hello readers:

Truthfully, I am not sure what the question is. :06:

Recapping the material over the years:
  • Tables are available to indicate when you may ascend after ending the diving, and these waiting times depend on your final pressure group, i.e., residual tissue nitrogen;
  • these tables assume that you are at sea level before the ascent [assumed to be rapid, e.g., in an airplane;
  • sleeping during the surface interval is not good since it slows the blood flow to its very lowest level;
  • physical activity that is too intense [e.g., hauling gear up a hill to the car] can cause tissue nuclei formation/growth and lead to DCS when you reduce pressure;
  • pressure reductions for plane flights assume an 8,000 foot cabin pressure equivalent;
  • any variation from this altitude because of mechanical difficulties could result in DCS problems.
Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks Doc,

I guess the answer to Spoon's question is simply that there shouldn't be a problem at all based on the scenario his given. After diving, he spends 2 hours cleaning and packing his gear plus having a bite to eat at the resort (hopefully not too strenous an activity), gets into his car drives for 1 hour to the base of the climb and spends the next 30 minutes going up to about 600 meters (or 1968 ft).

He could also run his profile through GAP or V-planner software just to be safe.

DiveGolfSki:
Thanks Doc,

I guess the answer to Spoon's question is simply that there shouldn't be a problem at all based on the scenario his given. After diving, he spends 2 hours cleaning and packing his gear plus having a bite to eat at the resort (hopefully not too strenous an activity), gets into his car drives for 1 hour to the base of the climb and spends the next 30 minutes going up to about 600 meters (or 1968 ft).

He could also run his profile through GAP or V-planner software just to be safe.

thanks bro! you summed it up pretty well

Spoon:
thanks bro! you summed it up pretty well

No problem, I was wondering about this too. When I'm there, I dive in Cebu and later drive up to my nephews "cabin" up the mountains. Similar to your trip but perhaps not the same height (not sure though). Next time I'm there, I'll bring a GPS and see what the altitude is (I'm pretty sure it's less than 800 meters).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom