Driving to altitude after diving at altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it is a method to figure altitude diving when you don't have the tables (or don't want to buy them). When were you certified? I have just been working through cert in the last 2.5 months. Maybe the 4%/1000 is a new thing.

I brought up the v.7 Navy dive manual and am going through it now.
Your 4%/1000 ft is a crude approximation. Here is a table of pressure variations with altitude.
upload_2020-10-11_22-51-31.png

The 4% number comes from the ratio of the pressure at sea level to the pressure at altitude. So, at 5000 ft, for example, the ratio is 1/0.832 = 1.202, or 20.2% so if you fit a straight line to that you'd get your 4%/1000. But it works best for 5000 ft, i.e. your Santa Rosa site! If you work it out, the actual percentage "correction" varies from 3.7 to 5.8 in the table above. For altitudes less than 5000 ft, using your 4% number is conservative (i.e., safe); but for altitudes above 5000 ft it is not safe. Use table 9.4 in v7 of the navy dive manual. Here is part of it:
upload_2020-10-11_23-9-33.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom