Dry ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've noticed that my ears seem to retain water for days, sometimes even a week will pass and I will notice my ears "pop" when I lean all the way over or stand up. It's not been causing any problems (that I know) but this week I got a vertigo attack that made me go to the ER, almost a week after diving. No sign of ear infection, and even a CT showed up nothing in my head, though my upper sinuses felt full at times this week. I'm wondering if the moisture has given me a sinus infection in my ear area that isn't visible from outside with the typical exam scope.
Do those ear dryers advertised in all the magazines really work? or is the water too far back for them to do any good? I've noticed there is really only one brand out there, so it's not like it is a hot market, but the ad is always there. If anyone has tried one after having watery ears, let me know.
gomi_

I use some of the Liquid Swimmers ear stuff (From Walgreens I think) and it works good for me. Sometimes a day or two later I can feel a slight bit of water but it usually just goes away.

I have never done it, but I have heard of people dipping a q-tip in isopropal alcohol and dabbing the inside of thier ears with it. When the alc. dries, it dries your ears out. As long as you dont do it too often, it could dry out your skin too much.
Keep in mind though, this was just recommended by another diver, not a doctor. I would ask your doctor more about it. I have seen those ear driers, I dont see why they wouldnt work. I have the same problem, but I just try to drip it out when I am done diving.

Use ear beer, Mix 50% alcohol and 50% vinger. Vinger make your ear more acidic stoping bacteria from growing and the alcohol drys the ear out.

Usually I don't have a problem with water staying in my ears but every once and a while I have found that it can be a problem (not as long as you mentioned though). I have started carrying the swimmer's ear product in my save a dive kit for those occasions when it is a problem. This summer I was on a weekend dive trip and one of the guys in the group had one of those ear dryers - after a bit of ribbing from the rest of us he pointed out that the reason he used it was he does a lot of pool repair work and was running into issues that even the swimmer's ear drops wasn't working for. He claims that it works great but at the same time my understanding is that they aren't that cheap so I would try the ear drops first and if not then maybe the ear dryer is the way to go.

I had been doing a *ton* of diving through my three-day weekends this summer (sadly, they're now behind), and the very last weekend among them, I forgot my diver's ear stuff (50% white vinegar, 50% rubbing alcohol). By the time I got home, I found that I'd developed a case of otitis externa. (I basically hadn't dried out all weekend, as I dove a lot, and it rained all weekend, preventing me from drying out in my tent.)

Anyway, the o.e. wasn't a big deal (it's all better now), but I'm adding the diver's ear elixir to my packing list from now on. The other *important* thing about it (as noted by DAN) is that you *must* use the proper procedure for it to be effective:
  1. Tilt your head over to one side.
  2. Fill your ear canal with the stuff.
  3. Wait a full five minutes.
  4. Tip it out, and repeat for the other side.
According to DAN, you really do have to let it sit for five minutes to be effective. (I'm anticipating the "DAN watch/pillow" to be in the next catalogue.) They advise spending the ten neck-bending minutes before the first dive and after the last dive of the day.

I usually pop some Slayer into the 1200 watt home stereo and start shaking violently to get the water out of my ears.
Effective, most effective.

gomi_otaku:
I've noticed that my ears seem to retain water for days, sometimes even a week will pass and I will notice my ears "pop" when I lean all the way over or stand up.

You should transfer this thread to the medical forum. I'm sure someone with more medical credentials will geive you more detailed info, but it seems to me that if your ears are taking a week to "dry" that you probably have a middle ear trauma and not water in your outer ear canal. Either that or you have a huge wax buildup that is holding water in your outer ear canal. I would check with a doctor.

Here's the DAN information that CLAYJAR is referring to.

DAN article

I use the Bausch & Lomb product as prescribed when on a dive trip - 5 minutes morning each ear / 5 minutes evening each ear.

I use the swimmers ear stuff (alcohol/vinegar mixture) as needed.

Works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom