Dry suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlbertaDan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
one of the guys i work with used to be an industrial diver. He suggests a dry suit without pockets because they balloon and act like a parachute. He also likes to use a full face mask because of the cold water where we are. The full face mask also helps to keep the face warm and is also easier to breathe with when in really cold water.

Is he out to lunch or pretty much right on the money???

It depends very much in what type of diving you plan on doing.

Pockets are used to carry essential tools for certain dives like spools, wet notes, SMB's etc.

They are an obstacle to smooth water flow but a drysuit is less streamlined than a 3 mm wetsuit, you would not wear one in 5 degree water.

I have never used a full face mask but I can imagine they are more comfy in very cold waters.
What happens if you have a second stage freeflow?

Just make sure the pockets have drains in them and flaps that fold over the pocket opening. This will keep them from ballooning while swimming and they will drain as you get out. Everyone I know uses pockets.

Full face masks have there place. Just because the water is cold does no mean you need one. FFM typically increase your air consumption and you will need training on how to handle OOA, loss of mask, and other situations unique with FFM.

Keep this in mind, scuba diving is not commercial diving. The two use totally different procedures and most times gear configuration.

I use pockets on my suit and never had a balloning problem. as for the FFM I can definetly a benefit in cold water.

Back
Top Bottom