Dry Suit Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
lol... hey, i'm a slow learner. i learn through repetition

i did listen to that part where you said you'd give me free lessons for life
on any technical diving subject i wanted, though

also, since there seem to be at least two oppinions on anything regarding
diving, i'd figure i'd start the ball rolling on this subject for my benefit
and for others who may have similar questions

Ah yes opinions there are many

free for life tech lessons, how malevolent do you think I can be? (selective listening)

H2Andy:
hey rick (GDI), thanks for a great class, man

i now remember you did cover the subject

here's a question (i'm asking in the forums so others can benefit):

when you store a dry suit, do you store it zipped up?

Or its hot cousin, the Modified Dalton Drysuit Dryer. When I'm doing back to back days, this thing has been a lifesaver. The alternative is the low-tech version.
---
Ken

too sweet

ok... one more question. i was looking at the DUI site, and they have these
things they call "Actionwear":

http://www.dui-online.com/dw_action.htm

i was thinking of getting the 300 jumpsuit for summer diving here in Florida.

would this be a waste of money? i already have the Diving Concepts Thinsulate
Extreme, but i'm afraid it might be way too hot in summer

H2Andy:
too sweet

Not a big fan. Its a funky material. I like their upgraded material that has true 4-way stretch.

Maybe its just me... but I didn't like it. I have the 300 Ginchwear (2 X 150 polartech, really) and I need to get some lighter stuff for summer. The 300 is too heavy for summers in SoCal - I need to get some 100. If Janice is in the biz still, I'd use her.

---
Ken

vodolaz:
On the contrary, not needing them in the first place is valid enough. I used them for awhile, but discovered they weren't doing anything for me other than dragging my fins down unnecessarily.

However other people with different boot design,size and fin combination may well want them to stop the feet being dragged upwards.

If it works for an individual thats justification enough.

H2Andy:

I dont know about actionwear, or if you have to buy DUI undies to fit a DUI suit :wink: I bought the softwear from Janice, 200wt with a little 100wt vest. It has been more than enough for hours in the springs during the winter, i reckon it might be too much for the summer, but i will see when the time comes - i might avoid the springs, put on the 1mm and hit the coasts/Keys :wink: The thinsulate might be a bit hot unless you are down for hours in the summer, but chances are you are going to have long SI's there so some comfort on the surface would be good - i sweat all summer just in t-shirt/shorts on SI's, not likely to keep my DS and undies on for long, but i have yet to wear it through a summer.

Dryglove:
Most important tip i can give is to make sure your p-valve hose isn't kinked :D

D a m n i t Dryglove! Non of this humor early in the morning, I just spit my breakfast all over my screen from laughing so hard. I know you were being partly serious, but it just cracked me up!

Mo2vation:
2) Methane works just as well for suit gas as Argon (read: backgas is fine for most of us)

---
Ken

Remember, this is a bad idea if using higher levels of EANx as a back gas for suit inflation, methane and oxygen = high explosion potential!!! lol

I use Ivory bar soap to lube the zipper...doesn't cost much and dissolves once in the water and doesn't trap crud like waxes do...

I use corn starch on the seals.

cyklon_300:
I use Ivory bar soap to lube the zipper...doesn't cost much and dissolves once in the water and doesn't trap crud like waxes do...
That's interesting!

I'm assuming it works out fairly well for you?

Back
Top Bottom