Dry suits: If you could do it all over again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Santi E.Lite. Great suit, but had some problems with the Ti-zip zipper. Looking for a new/second suit now and contemplating Santi and Fourth Element. Both great suits and very compatible. Santi has an slight advantage because I think it's tougher.

As far as seals go, I replace them myself. It's not that difficult and I do a better job than the repair shops LOL. They caused more issues than they solved. So I like to keep the suit as simple as possible. Just latex seals.

All in all, no regrets but a lot of lessons learned. The only way to learn these and learn what you like is to go and dive with teh suit.

After 3 drysuits, this is my wish list now (photographer, lots of shore diving with oysterbanks, solodiver, long dives)

* Front plastic zipper (souple, works perfect)
* Silicone seals, neck and wrists (latex gives me rash after e few days of diving)
* Bomb proof trilaminate (Santi Emotion is very very vulnerable)
* custom tailored (but nog too tight) (arm length of current suit is too long, it's a pain)
* fixed Kubi rings (works perfect, rings are not too massive, current are Ultima)
* Pee valve (long dives, keep hydrated beforehand)
* socks with rock boots (I walk a lot in my drysuit)
* Pefect hood, haven't found one yet. Always too large or too small.

I won't change anything, everything is simple "perfect": SANTI e.motion on flex-sole, with KUBI fitted plus just two undergarments (Santi190 for the winter, eventually with sublayers; Beuchant 90gr or equivalent for the summer).

Don't buy a used TLS350 unless you don't care how dry it is.

Custom suits seem rarely worth the money. You're 90% there trying things on. "It won't fit" is just you're not in a 400g thinsulate in what equates to a ziplock bag. A women's XL may be your cave-cut, but $1500 less and warrantied.

Depends on the company and your body type. For me, Custom was the only way to go. For my buddy, with a company that has 17 stock sizes, stock suit was the way to go.

I'll never have a plastic zipper again. Brass all the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom