Dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washow88

Reaction score
Staying on the same subject ‘DUI Demo Sucker’ by biscuit7.
What are the features we should look for when buying a dry suit and what should we avoid.
I am trying to buy a dry suit and I found so many of them, some starting from $399.99 and going up to $2199.99.
What are the differences between the dry suits? Why are some of them so inexpensive and too expensive?

refers to this thread--Ber Rabbit
http://www.scubaboard.com/t28773/s.html[

Materials:

Neoprene - easy to repair (aquaseal) but variations in buoyancy from the compression of the material at depth are one disadvantage. Neoprene is one of the cheapest suts to manufacture.

Crushed neoprene - DUI created a system that uses a thicker piece of neoprene and by putting it under great pressure permanantly crushes the material giving a more consistant thickness even with depth variations (pretty expensive though)

Nylon - nylon shells are a little more complicated to repair because the material is not always smooth and does not absorb the glue as readily. They are usually less forgiving of brushes with sharp objects and can cause smaller pinching suit squeeze. These suits can be some of the cheapest depending on intended use, taping of seams, and backing materials used

Rubber - very easy to repair (bicycle tire patch kits can be used) and very durable. The suits generally do not offer much in the way of stretch (flexibility) but quality suits are available for less than $1000. Viking has a newer rubber material that does stretch, it uses a more flexible backing fabric

Other factors affecting price are:

Brand names and reputations

construction costs, custom fitting, wider variety of sizes, taping and glueing of seams, accessory items on suits, entry configuration, types of seals. (not all manufactures offer all these features but some are very nearly mandatory)

Boots or booties

pockets

One great option we have available now is the DUI demo days were you can try a variety of suits helping to decide on a style. Dive clubs and larger groups are also good places to get opinions and perhaps a dive in a borrowed suit. Finding a store that will rent a suit to try would be great but you may be able to take a dry-suit diving course that will allow you to demo a suit as well...

Tough choice especially when some suits are running over $2000... big investment to consider...

On the plus side they are pretty easy to sell used if you decide on another style and if considering purchase look for a used suit to save a buck or two as well...

Worst case senario repair (all seals, leak check, and leak repair can be done for less than $200 so figure it into the used price if unsure about the suit integrity) The ziper is pretty important to inspect well as some entry styles must be sent to the manufacturer for replacment...

Good Luck!!!

Jeff Lane

1) fit: I was limited in my selection of stock suits because I have some odd dimensions and to get a good fitting suit I would either have to do a semi-custom/custom ($$$) of find a manufacter that cuts stock to fit me

2) reputation: I wanted to go with a manufacturer that other people had had good luck with so I didn't waste my money on a piece of doo doo

3) I wanted boots that weren't attached to the suit. This is a totally subjective thing, but I heard a couple people say something about the attached boots popping off their feet and filling with air and that freaked me out so I wanted to be able to tie my boots on.

4) cost: obviously this is a biggie and I have a limited budget and almost no drysuit experience (well, really barely one drysuit encounter) so I wasn't willing to buy off the net with no support and no one to help me with basics like trimming seals, checking fit, and I need training

5) zipper: I don't really care about self-donning vs. back zipper since I always dive with a buddy I should have someone to help me get dressed

6) dump valve: lots of people have touted the forearm dump since when you are ascending holding the inflator your forearm is naturally the highest point. On the other hand, I have an airtrim BC, so a dump on the forearm is WORSE than the standard on the shoulder for my purposes.

I settled on a White's Nexus. For my criteria it fits everything.

Hope that helps some!

Rachel

P.S. I forgot about material. I always wanted a shell so I could vary the undergarment based on conditions and it takes less weight to sink it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom