Dry Tortugas With M/V Spree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received an email from Diver's Direct, which is sponsoring a three day liveaboard trip down to the Dry Tortugas on the M/V Spree, Oct 21-23.

Price seems good for 5 dives per day and Nitrox included, plus meals included, and I'm intrigued by the Dry Tortugas. What is the diving like especially late Oct.?

Has anyone ever been on a similar trip on the Spree? I will admit that I am a bit apprehensive about the accommodations on the liveaboard because there is four bunks to a cabin, so I guess the key is to go with three ppl you know or end up sharing a cabin with some people you just met? Hmm...

Please chime in if you have done this trip before.

I haven't done a liveaboard on the Spree, but we dove the Vandenburg with them for a day trip and let's just say that there is a group of us who are hoping to do a Tortugas liveaboard with them in 2011! What is the price, if I may ask?

Hi Debby -
Did you do the Vandenberg with the Meetup group (Gold Coast)?

I wonder if any group members would be interested?

joh-- Living onboard a boat is a cozy affair. Sailboats are even worse when it comes to the size and shapes of the berths. This ship is luxurious in size. The bunks are racked together some are in their own sorta cabin others are more "crewish". Unless you have some sort of odd presleep ritual you are keeping secret... who cares? We as divers exchange each others mouth pieces, zip and unzip each other and swim downstream in each others pee....j

I did a review with some pics of our ITK V dive on her..

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-keys/340659-mv-spree-ship-shape.html

Hi Debby -
Did you do the Vandenberg with the Meetup group (Gold Coast)?
No, at ScubaBoard's ITK this summer.

joh-- Living onboard a boat is a cozy affair. Sailboats are even worse when it comes to the size and shapes of the berths. This ship is luxurious in size. The bunks are racked together some are in their own sorta cabin others are more "crewish". Unless you have some sort of odd presleep ritual you are keeping secret... who cares? We as divers exchange each others mouth pieces, zip and unzip each other and swim downstream in each others pee....j

I did a review with some pics of our ITK V dive on her..

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-keys/340659-mv-spree-ship-shape.html

YUCK! , I might have to rethink this whole diving thing after all.... :)

I went on the April 2010 Divers Direct trip.... which had two complete diving days and ran $400....

I got the email as well and I'm a little shocked at the price hike for an additional dive day... They have the trip labelled as Oct 22-24... but your boarding on the evening of the 21st.... So twice the price for a single extra diving day...

The difference between trips is likely due to the extra time\fuel\manpower necessary to do the Tortugas, as well as commercial permitting necessary to visit the park vs. the upper keys...

One boat I was on that went to the park received a $500+ ticket for visiting the park and not being one of the licensed 'concessionaires'....

Frank and Mel run a great boat... I've been on multiple charters with them. The bunk arrangement is if you can board early and grab one of the rooms with 3 friends. The open area by the steps is best for heavy sleepers - of which I am not....

saw this as well...kinda intrested in doing this trip as well. Was curious about a few things..maybe someone can help me out.

Has the oil spill affected the Tortugas much?
How is the water (calmness and temp) during October?
Is it 2 full days of diving than one dive on the vandenburg or like 2.5 days of diving and 1 on the V?

I have only read great reviews about the boat and crew so no real questions about that...mostly just those two. if someone with some experience of even wookie could answer them i might have a better chance of talking myself...and some friends (hopefully) into this trip.

Is it 2 full days of diving than one dive on the vandenburg or like 2.5 days of diving and 1 on the V?

I have only read great reviews about the boat and crew so no real questions about that...

:popcorn:

Chug
Wanna go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom