Drysuit adhesive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gumbo717

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been repairing my own seals for a few years now and am trying to compare these two types of adhesive for installing new seals on drysuits.
Which is a better adhesive? PB300 or McNetts seal cement?
I don't plan on working with neoprene.

Thanks in advance.

Gumbo,

I don't have a direct comparison for you as I have never used the PB300 and don't generally use the seal cement for my drysuit repairs. I am a big fan of the Dap Weldwood contact cement, it's worked great on all my drysuit repairs, and it's way easier to find than the PB300. For my neck and wrist seals I use that along with a bead of aquaseal along the inside of the suit where the seal and drysuit meet.

I have used the PB300, several years ago I began researching the product trying to figure it's magic formula.

During my research I found that DAP Weldwood contact cement is around 92% to 96% identical in composition and 1/4 the cost. I have been recommending it for a very long time. I have replaced a lot of seals using it and never had an issue.

Like Bret, I originally applied a small bead of Aqualseal on the back side, for the last few years I have stopped that process and just use the contact cement.

Once you have the right equipment and a little practice you get nice clean lines, and a very secure seal that is easy to replace when the time comes.

During my research I found that DAP Weldwood contact cement is around 92% to 96% identical in composition and 1/4 the cost. I have been recommending it for a very long time. I have replaced a lot of seals using it and never had an issue.

Definitely not true PB-300 is a poly-urethane based adhesive, DAP is poly-chlorinated rubber. Completely different bases.

I have used PB-300 for all of my drysuit repairs with zero issues. I see no reason to change now.

Definitely not true PB-300 is a poly-urethane based adhesive, DAP is poly-chlorinated rubber. Completely different bases.

Not what I have, it clearly states poly-urethane on the can. DEP Weldwood 610-contact adhesive, are we talking about the same stuff?

Last edited:
But does the DAP do the same thing as the PB-300? What type of solvent does the DAP use?

I have been on the same quart of PB-300 for a couple of years. A little MEK freshens it up when needed.

Edit: DOH! I must have opened this thread earlier today before the rest of the responses. All answers supplied.

Last edited:
interesting thread. I used the DAP weldwood on my first set of seals. How well does the dap undo with heatgun when time for the next seal? I also used the aquaseal second seal, for lack of a better term, is it needed?

I have used the dap as well, and it does work, but the pb-300 is a little nicer for when you have to make adjustments. Its possible the dap used to be urethane, or there is a urethane dap product, but the can at the LDS says polychlorinated rubber, and so does their current MSDS on their website.

Back
Top Bottom