Drysuit care (generic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Right. I'm staring at my shiny new Fourth Element Kevlar drysuit. Unfortunately the dealer/instructor is swanning around on vacation for a few weeks so can't test it in anger (first drysuit need the course)

However having read the manufacturers instructions (there's a SB first) I'm looking for opinions.

First Storage. It says I can keep rolled up or hang on a padded hanger - I have a space in a wardrobe inside the house (temp controlled) so can hang. I'm guessing that the best (after talcing the seals - latex in my case)?

Post dive cleaning. For my wetsuits they go in a dunk tank. How do you wash your drysuits post dive? Like a wetsuit if so I guess I need to ensure they are fully dry inside? Hose down the outside?

I know I need to apply a small amount of silicone to the zips, as well as applying talcum powered to the seals anything else to do?

For me,
- wax the zipper, but zip up only the outside for storage (takes pressure off the sealing zipper)
- silcone, then talcum power the latex seals (McNett's is good for a start until you find out what is good local)
- Do you sweat in the suit? then yes, by all means, wash the inside out. Make a PVC stand (search, and search YouTube) to let it dry
-- If it is very bad inside, a little woolite or other gentle shampoo-like items should work
-- If it leaks, definitely wash the inside out . . . .
- I agree with hanging, but get a very wide-shouldered hanger.
- Make sure it is DRY before you put it up.

- oh - zippers - if you get sand in them, wash well and use a brush / tooth brush / whatever works . . . .

We hang ours with the zippers open, so the inside dries out well. When we get home from diving, the suits are hung up outside and hosed down well and allowed to drip dry, then they are moved indoors and the zipper opened.

Whether you put silicone on the zipper or not depends on the zipper you have. Don't use it on metal zippers. A TiZip may require a tiny bit of it at the docking end to get it to seal completely. Getting silicone on the suit fabric will complicate zipper replacement, even a long time later.

I have tried various methods of seal maintenance. I have rinsed them, washed them with dilute detergent, wiped them down with Seal Saver, and done nothing at all, and the longevity of my seals seems independent of the method of care. As you might imagine, the result is that I generally do nothing.

Same as TSandM. With zipper closed I hose down suit thoroughly, paying special attention to the dump valve. I also remove any stones that have become lodge in the tread of the boots, my suit has attached boots. I leave it hanging with the zip open to dry out. If I'm not diving a week I'll use a fan to thoroughly dry out the inside. I use seal saver on the wrist seals periodically. Once dry, I talc all seals, neck is silicone so only inside, the wrist are latex so in and out. I have a TiZip so lightly lube the docking end every two weeks. I have been storing mine with zip shut as per advice from manufacturer, I loosely roll the suit up careful not to fold the boots, neoprene, and put a crease in them. I store in its bag away from heat etc. having said that I recently read that I'm not supposed to store the suit rolled up, I don't have space so am re thinking that one. Good luck. Enjoy your new suit. FWIW mines a Santi.

DivingDubai,

Pay specific attention to your shoulder valve and drysuit pressure valve. I would normally put a shower head to these (warmish water) to get rid of salt,sand and other *hit.

Talc your seals.

I keep my suit in a drybag in a dry cool area. I'd prefer to hang it permamently but I don't have the space so the suit goes into a bag where the suit is loosely folded.

On a more general point and maybe other people can chime in, I have only ever put a hole in a suit once while underwater but I'm pretty sure I've damaged it during transport of the suit to the car so I'd advise you to be very gentle with your suit when moving it from storage to dive site.

My drysuit cannot be turned inside out easily and the feet remain damp. This is my leg dryer. Cost $20 for some 50 mm pipe and a $2 12v fan. Slide the tuve up the leg and stand the suit upside down, run for 1 hr, then do other leg. Job done

IMG_0909.jpg

I don't hang my drysuit primarily because it has a stiff ring for the silicone replaceable neck seals and I've found that the entire weight of the suit is transferred from this ring to the hanger (no hanger makes full contact with the suit's shoulders hence the suit is hanging from this ring). I keep it very loosely rolled, with only the outer zip done, in a big storage box..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom