Drysuit exhast valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNW Dive Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I'm trying a new title to this post.... Hopefully I'll get a response...

My great Andy's drysuit has been leaking. I've had all the seams resealed, pressure tested and it still leaks. I think it's my exhast valve (located on my left arm). Took it apart to soak and check it. It had quite a lot of silicon glue everywhere. I'm thinking the build up was causing a problem. My question is: (and I've gotten a couple of different answers) When putting it back in/on my dryusit, does it need the silicon glue or is hand tight adequate?

Thanks!!!

Apologies for spelling error in title...

Last edited:
Use silicon when reinstalling it. It should be just a little more than hand tight. What I mean by that is often there are hand tools available to allow better grip on the valve inside the suit. I have two tools I use on our valves. The silicon provides the primary seal, and it only take a light layer.

When you say took it apart, did you disassemble it to the point you were holding the rubber flapper in your hand? If not keep taking it apart until you have properly cleaned every internal part, and carefully inspect the internals. That would be the most likely place for it to leak.

What brand of exhaust valve do you have? It has been my experience with the SiTech valves that, over time, the spring doesn't seem to have the same "push", and I have to dial the valve a couple of clicks closed or it will leak.

I don't have silicone sealant on any of our exhaust valves, but I don't have an Andy's suit, either. My valves all came with a thin plastic gasket that goes on the suit side of the assembly. Thoroughly tightening the valve (and yes, hand-tight is often not enough) will stop leaks. BTW, you can easily check for leaks AROUND the valve by installing it, closing it, and inflating the suit completely. Spraying the base of the valve with soapy water will reveal any leaks around the installation.

Thanks all! yes, took it completely apart. I'm not sure what the valve name is. I'm heading out to check. I want to stay dry!

Hi, yes it's an SiTech valve.

OK, results: after cleaning all the exess (and there was a lot it of it) off, I did 2 dives. It still leaked. grrrr... Went to Silent World Dive for air fills and they've been kind enough to work on my suit in the past. They took it apart and cleaned more silicon from under the plastic gasket. Did a test on it, no leaks, but that's typical. I'll report in my next dive. I might try jumping in a pool, don't know if 10 feet will be deep enough though!

Thaanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom