Drysuit for Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaxDvr

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently went to a DUI trial event in Cheifland Florida, DUI had hundreds of suits to try on and use in Manatee Springs. It was my first experience with a dry suit and I am convinced that I must get one. As the water chills off the coast of Jacksonville, I am not ready to hang it up for the winter.

I tried the TLS350 from DUI and I love it, but by the time I get the suit and undergarments, hood, and all the other necessary items, that suit bears a $3200 price tag. I anticipate maybe 30 dives oveer the cold seasons, so I am not sure I can justify the expense.

Any suggestions on a comparable suit for less jack? I am not trying to be cheap, but tiss the season to think about spending doe elseware.

Before you ask, I did do a search, but can tell by old posts how the DUI suit compares to other suits. BTW the water only gets down to the mid 50's in dead of winter.

Thanks to all who ponder my dilema.

Heres to smiling faces and near empty tanks.

I am in the Atlanta area and I am in the same situation with any lake diving or north Fla. spring or Gulf diving that I will be doing over the next few months, since the temps will be below wetsuit comfort level.
I am planing on getting a BARE Nex-Gen drysuit in the next month or 2. I've heard some great things about them from folks that own DUIs and you can get everything you need to get in the water(suit, undergarment, gloves, boots, hood) for under a $1000. Scuba Diving magazine rated them excellent in the comfort and value category. I know DUIs are great suits, but $3200 is way out of line for my budget too. I believe with a suit like a BARE Nex-Gen that you can be warm, dry and comfortable and that's all you need in a suit after all.
JMHO

I bought my TLS350 used for about 1K and its fully equipped with 2 bellows pockets, balanced P-valve, and turbo soles. I've only had it on 3 diving weekends so far (15 dives or so) but I love it.

I dive in the springs (which are 71ish) with fairly thin undergarments and stay toasty warm in and out of the water.

If you aren't in a hurry and fairly normal sized keep a watch on the gear exchange here.

JaxDvr, have you considered semi-dry? They do not require undergarments, which saves a lot of money. Since I moved from NY to FL, I am switching my drysuit to probably semi-dry or sticking with 5mm - depends on what I will do.

For Florida, I would recommend getting a shell suit (laminated) so you can adjust the warmth by your undergarments, and has the added benefit over a neoprene suit in that it dries quicker, and packs lighter ..
Talk to Mike at Dive Right In Scuba, I've already talked to him for recommendations and 4 me, the Pinnacle Evolution 2 front entry is what I'm looking to get, nicely priced, cordura shell, 2 pockets, can get socks instead of boots for no extra ... and at a great deal Dive Right In Scuba

also, Whites Nexes II (actually III)$1438 , the Pinnacle Evolution back entry $1214, and the Pinnacle Freedom is another shell suit worth considering too, $876
.. give Mike a call

I have a Bare nex gen from DiveTank. Its a great suit for the price. I purchased around Xmas last year and they had a huge sale. I'm also in JAX but with cave diving (and generally being a cold person) I wear my drysuit year round now. I like my suit but after my husband (timle above) got his DUI I'm jealous. It fits much better and is much sleeker.

What I mean by that is I got the correct suit for my size but there is extra material that adds to bulk. For example the width of the leg and arm is much larger and there is no telescoping torso. That being said for the money its a great suit.

Miranda

I tried the TLS350 from DUI and I love it, but by the time I get the suit and undergarments, hood, and all the other necessary items, that suit bears a $3200 price tag. I anticipate maybe 30 dives oveer the cold seasons, so I am not sure I can justify the expense.

You can get an excellent Northern Diver drysuit for under $900.

Also, in Florida, don't worry about all the specialized underwear.

For the water temps you can expect, a nice pair of sweats would do just fine. Even @ 50 degrees, you can pick up some fleece for well under $100 at any sporting goods store.

Terry

I have 2 Bare XCD2 Tech for caves and DiveRite 905 for teaching. You can't go wrong with either.

I tried the TLS350 from DUI and I love it, but by the time I get the suit and undergarments, hood, and all the other necessary items, that suit bears a $3200 price tag.

Did you add 24k valves or cashmere undergarments? I can't imagine how you could get the price of a TLS350 up to $3200, even buying at MSRP.

Back
Top Bottom