Question Drysuit Heating. Which valves should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am assembling my heating setup and I'd love some input! I know which undergarment I am getting (Santi Heating Vest 2.0). I know which battery I am getting (Light Monkey). I have a DUI FLX Extreme that came with a SiTech inflator valve. I want to buy a heated valve for it.

Looks like there are several choices in the market but I don't see a comparison between them:

Specifically:

1. The Santi 303 Valve
2. The Ammonite 360 valve

The plan will be to use the valve only during cold water diving and put the regular valve at other times.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

I was facing the same choice recently. I ended up getting the older version Santi Thermovalve because it was slightly cheaper. It's perfectly adequate, and I expect the others are as well. For what it's worth, I see no reason to need or prefer a 303° or 360° swivel -- the drysuit inflator is always coming from the exact same direction. Maybe it's a sidemount thing?

I was facing the same choice recently. I ended up getting the older version Santi Thermovalve because it was slightly cheaper. It's perfectly adequate, and I expect the others are as well. For what it's worth, I see no reason to need or prefer a 303° or 360° swivel -- the drysuit inflator is always coming from the exact same direction. Maybe it's a sidemount thing?

I think Santi stopped selling those. I can't fnd them as easily (in the US).

I'm currently using the Santi 303. I like it better than the stationary valves I've tried. I would buy it again.

For what its worth, I've got a Santi303, and should have returned it as soon as I received it. The issue is that the inflator button sticks, even with extra springs installed. There's no issue with cable or roughness if the pushbuton.
Santi never bother replying so I'd get whatever not Santi.

I originally used the 90 degrees Santi thermovalve. After a few years the E/O cable stopped delivering power unless I bent it in certain unnatural angles.

Got the Ammonite 360 as replacement and the cable seems sturdier. Have only used it for a bit over a year so far though, so hard to say if it'll last longer.

I am assembling my heating setup and I'd love some input! I know which undergarment I am getting (Santi Heating Vest 2.0). I know which battery I am getting (Light Monkey). I have a DUI FLX Extreme that came with a SiTech inflator valve. I want to buy a heated valve for it.

Looks like there are several choices in the market but I don't see a comparison between them:

Specifically:

1. The Santi 303 Valve
2. The Ammonite 360 valve

The plan will be to use the valve only during cold water diving and put the regular valve at other times.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

light monkey make a heater valve, i have used it and it works. I have to say I think there's much point in swtching valves between dives

Be aware that the E/O cables eventually break and are very expensive (for a cable) and a little fiddly to repair as you need a soldering iron and the correct connectors (as Santi glue theirs, so you can't open them unless you're lucky). Have had three failures with the Santi connector in 5 seasons.

Some E/O cables are thicker than others. I believe that the Ammonite valve+connector is a better cable than the thinner ones used by Santi and others. Would like someone to confirm that the Ammonite is more reliable -- I have money to buy one!

It's common to see people who wrap the cable with "self amalgamating tape" to stiffen and strengthen the outer cable. However, in my experience, the failures are on the inner cable where it exits the valve or on the suit connector end.

Be aware that the E/O cables eventually break and are very expensive (for a cable) and a little fiddly to repair as you need a soldering iron and the correct connectors (as Santi glue theirs, so you can't open them unless you're lucky). Have had three failures with the Santi connector in 5 seasons.

Some E/O cables are thicker than others. I believe that the Ammonite valve+connector is a better cable than the thinner ones used by Santi and others. Would like someone to confirm that the Ammonite is more reliable -- I have money to buy one!

It's common to see people who wrap the cable with "self amalgamating tape" to stiffen and strengthen the outer cable. However, in my experience, the failures are on the inner cable where it exits the valve or on the suit connector end.

FWIW, I have heard the owner of a shop say that they prefer Ammonite over Santi saying similar stuff. I live in the US and Ammonite is almost non existent here so I was looking for additional data points. Especially since I haven't heard good things about their customer service.

From what I have heard (from a shop owner) the Ammonite is indeed the better choice. Already had Santi as the Ammonite valves weren't available yet when I got my suit but should I need a new one I would switch to Ammonite. After multiple issues with the Santi valve we could get the cable connecting to the battery replaced with a better one. Haven't had any issues with the valve anymore after that.

Heating is fantastic as long as it works but be prepared that sooner or later something will malfunction :wink:. Lucky for me the cables where always replaced under warranty. I do have the Santi gloves and vest I haven't had issues with those items. The cables connecting the vest and gloves to the valve have all been replaced multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom