Drysuit inflator valve - reg IP question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdgodess

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
last weekend I used a different first stage & inflator hose and everytime I inflated my drysuit it felt like the air was coming in faster & harder compared to my own first stage and inflator hose. I was wet enough for a wet-teeshirt contest.

I took the valve apart and it looks clean, I do rinse well after each dive. My stuff lasts so long I look out of date....

I wore my drysuit the week before and was nice and toasty dry, so the new hose/first stage is the only thing different.

Now that I unscrewed my valve, I put in back on, but I think I need to put some kind of sealant on the washer that goes over the valve screws and actually sits on the neoprene, then screw it down tight. I have seamgrip and contact cement on hand, or should I get some aquaseal? (DH used up my tube of aquaseal on his waders...)

I've taken the valve off before but never the washer that sits on the neoprene, it just kind of popped off, which makes me concerned too. cold & wet = :depressed:

I don't think the IP would suddenly make the suit leak.

However, you did say a different hose. Perhaps it didn't seal right with your suit and sucked in water each time you inflated.

A leak wouldn't be caused by the hose, without it leaking, and bubbles would be noticeable.

The hose you are used to using probably has a flow restrictor in it to slow inflation down. The hose you just used probably did not. What brand is your hose and drysuit?

IP would be more an issue with the second stage regs. If you don't have an IP gauge I would recommend buying one, and checking your IP pressures fairly often.

The leak you had was probably unrelated to the reg setup.

Thank you. The hose was injecting air way faster/harder than my own hoses. I did not know about hoses could come with & without flow restrictors. It felt like bubbling inside my suit whenever I injected, and normally I can "feather" the inflator button to add air softly, or press hard for faster filling, this was 100% each push. I've always used the same kind of hose. This shop has sitech hoses, and I've yet to have to change one (recently) but I have a sitech in my spare parts kit I may need to rethink.

I can use the IP gauge at the shop anytime. My own reg is hissing so I'm looking at it tonight.

Any chance you burped air out the neck seal? That would allow water to enter.

undergarments were dry around the neck & back. I had a big wet bullseye on my boobs. HTH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom