Drysuit inner lining query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidW_NZ

Registered
Reaction score
6 months ago we ordered two custom made trilaminate drysuits from Canada. We decided on the type and make after seeing and examining two of the same make owned by instructor friends of ours who are also the New Zealand agents for the Canadian manufacturer. When the suits arrived several weeks later we were surprised at how difficult it was to get into the suits as the inner surface of each was “sticky” as in unfinished, not smooth, similar to fine sandpaper or rubberised fabric. Not having had drysuits before we weren’t sure what to expect.

No matter what we were wearing, polyprop, tracksuit/jogging pants, or similar we found the clothes we were wearing just became abraded, pilled and snagged by the action of the material against the inner surface of the suit. We found it was almost impossible to put these drysuits on if wearing anything without a shiny slippery surface. Eventually we bought Weezels which alleviated the problem to a small degree but the suits were still taking longer to put on than our wetsuits. The suits were eventually sent back by the import agent to the manufacturers for inspection and replacement

Over three months later (partially due to Christmas) we received the following email from the manufacturer:

“I have looked at both suits and they are indeed made with a grey internal laminate that was choosen by us for its non slippery nature and we still use it today in production. It has a finish that is not very sliperry and actually a little on the sandpaper side grit I would agree but we have made tens of thousands with no complains whatsoever with the exception of these customers… We are not prepared to remake the suits just for that reason.

So to my questions are – Has anyone else ever heard of this type of problem? Has anyone experienced or heard of a drysuit where the inside surface is not smooth to the touch? Can anyone tell me why you should want a non-slip surface on the interior of a drysuit?

Many thanks in anticipation for your feedback

David

My Viking isn't slick on the inside. It's got a cloth backing sort of like cotton upon which the rubber is vulcanized. Yes, it's sometimes a bit hard to don if your undergarment is a bit large. With a normal undergarment it's not that bad and can be put on fairly quick.

I suspect your drysuit is normal in what you found.

I Dive a Bare Trilam suit and I is a bit of a struggle to get it on but once on its good. I have heard that some people wear a thin wet suit for thermal protection. It sounds to me like your under garments are too loose.

It sounds as if you have a Catalyst. Yes, that's the interior surface, all right.

It does make it tougher to put on, but once on, it seems that the suit and undergarments make a "unit" and shift less.

All the best, James

Has anyone ordered a drysuit from divetank, if so how was it

I also ordered a BARE XCD2 Tech through divetank, Richard will walk you through...gets two thumbs up.

:D My next dry suit question is this, anyone who does deco dives what is best Trilam or crushed neo looking for most warm'th can't decide on a xcd2 or a dive rite trilam, who uses what. thanks

I ordered my drysuit through Divetank based on the great reviews on Scubaboard, but unfortunately my experience was less than ideal. The customer service person was clueless. They also overcharged my card more than the price quoted. Richard did iron everything out for me so no big deal, but I would not order from them again. I am still waiting on some sort of receipt or sales slip or some other proof of purchase from them. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom