Drysuit justification Don't know what to do!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just go dry from the beginning. I got my drysuit cert in conjunction with OW. It's just easier in the Midwest. I love my USIA drysuit (I had to go custom). If you're considering diving the Great Lakes or earlier/later in the season, a drysuit is a must.

My problem is I don't have any dive buddies!

Fix this first.

Forget about the exposure suit. If you are not extending your season or diving on a regular basis there is no need for a dry suit. I cant tell you how many "brand new dry suits" I see for sale on eBay, Craigslist, Scubaboard... Why is that? I think divers get this fixation on how many dives they are going to do and go buy all this gear and then - Reality Hits...

Do yourself a favor - ask yourself how many dives did you do last year in the local waters? If the answer is less than 30 dives and a buddy is limiting your diving - what will change with a drysuit? Most likely nothing...

Drysuit. Check out Dive Right in Scuba. They are close enough to you in Plainfield, IL that you could make the trip over.

I have a HOG drysuit. The also sell USA who males the HOG suit. They also have specials on the Aqualung Fusion.

Seems to me that it's your wife that needs the dry suit since she doesn't like cold water diving. You might be up for two of them!

My wifebuddy wasn't interested in anything but tropical diving. We bought drysuits together, took a drysuit class together, and now we're extending our diving season and geographic options considerably.

Drysuit. Check out Dive Right in Scuba. They are close enough to you in Plainfield, IL that you could make the trip over.

I have a HOG drysuit. The also sell USA who males the HOG suit. They also have specials on the Aqualung Fusion.

Yes, just go to DRIS. I bought my USIA through them.

Ive got and use both. Mares Iso therm semi dri and a Bare XCD2 Pro. like others have said your going to get some water in the semi dry... most I have gotten is up to the Knees and elbows, however I'm very skinny and when my wrists flex I get a little channeling. the zipper on it is a standard dry suit zipper so it needs regular maint to keep it working. I would recommend just going with a Standard Dry Suit... I use multiple styles of Underware and Ive been know to layer them to get even more insulation. I dove Alaska for 4yrs. I started with the semi dry. Needless to say in 4 months I bought a dry Suit.. I should have saved the money from the semi dry and put it towards my standard dry suit. Ive also dove dry in florida in july in my Bare. Its nice to open up your suit and be totally dry and warm esp doing night dives after a long day diving when your tired. as far as seals go neoprene or latex its users choice... I have latex and they work well. Mine have lasted 7 years so far but I'm kinda anal about keeping my gear clean and protected. And To be very clear I learned to dive dry without instruction.... But I highly HIGHLY recommend getting training!!!!!! Have fun, and be safe!

Don't forget, drysuit price is just a drysuit. Accessories are plentiful and $$$. You'll have to buy a lot more to get your drysuit package complete.

what accessories are you referring to? Most accessories are just accessories, not necessary, but nice to have. And you have to ask yourself what is the price for comfort level you want to Ben

I appreciate all the advice. Right now I am thinking of going with the dui Yukon or something of that nature. I think I will pass on the semi dry. If my thinking is correct the semi dry will offer little protection at 100 feet or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom