Drysuit leak testing idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did this tonight and it worked GREAT.

To test for drysuit leaks:

Plug the wrist seals with pop cans. Then.....

Cut a hole in the bottom of a 2 liter pop bottle. Put the 2 liter bottle in the neck of the suit, with the cap sticking out. Then put a rubber band around the neck seal. Take the cap off of the 2 liter pop bottle, blow the shop vac into the bottle opening until the suit is inflated. Take the shop vac hose away and quickly screw the cap on the bottle. The suit will stay inflated. At least for as long as it take air to leave through the holes.....

Then you spray soapy water all over the suit and curse when you see how many leaks you still have.

Try it. It is easy and works well.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have hooked it up to the inflator house?

I have seen guys use a light bulb to find pin holes in trilams. Kinda like looking for a needle in a hay stack but it works.

crpntr133:
Wouldn't it have been easier to have hooked it up to the inflator house?

I have seen guys use a light bulb to find pin holes in trilams. Kinda like looking for a needle in a hay stack but it works.

It would be, but I do not own a tank, and if I did, I do not think I would empty it filling my drysuit to look for leaks. I tried to put my regular air compressor on the suit, but the valve is the wrong size.

Hey, it is a practically free and easy idea. Take it for what it is worth. It is at least easier than taking the tank in for a fill!

On TDS they describe turning the suit inside out, clamping off the seals and filling it with water to find stubborn holes.

Did it to our suits last night... WOW. Unreal. Found so many. Mostly stitchng holes where they didn't Aquaseal the seams thoroughly.

I thought I had a leaky dump valve... turns out the patch has half a dozen pin holes... not a geyser, but enough to make my shoulder quite damp after a 4 or 5 dive day.

Found many, many holes. Today is fix day. I'm pretty excited about this.

I knew ALL of this dampness couldn't be sweat...

---
Ken

i've been using a valve from a tire jb welded to the two litr bottle and then pumping my suit up with my air compressor

what kind of suit? i think i have the exact same problem on my DUI

Mo2vation:
On TDS they describe turning the suit inside out, clamping off the seals and filling it with water to find stubborn holes.

Did it to our suits last night... WOW. Unreal. Found so many. Mostly stitchng holes where they didn't Aquaseal the seams thoroughly.

I thought I had a leaky dump valve... turns out the patch has half a dozen pin holes... not a geyser, but enough to make my shoulder quite damp after a 4 or 5 dive day.

Found many, many holes. Today is fix day. I'm pretty excited about this.

I knew ALL of this dampness couldn't be sweat...

---
Ken

bnelson:
what kind of suit? i think i have the exact same problem on my DUI

My wife and I have DUI 350's (tri-lam). A buddy dives a Bare Crushed Neo (DUI CF-200 equiv.)

Worked great on all.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom