Drysuit Prices and Overview? For an Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard,
I currently only dive wet (with a 2.5 mm. wetsuit) as most of the diving I had done was in warm tropical waters. But for my future diving plans, I am planning to move into technical diving, where I know the dives will be deeper, and most likely also longer. I also hope to extend the range of my diving to temperate and possibly cold water; there are also the benefits what I hear about diving dry even for warm water recreational diving.

My question is about drysuits; what is the range of prices available for a suit that can fit my needs for long, deep tech diving in warm water and possibly for very cold water diving. Some manufacturers have a made to fit option for their drysuits; is this also preferable to a pre-made suit?

:confused::confused:

Thank you!! :D:D

I dive a Bare Nex-Gen Pro, which usually retails at around $1000 USD, including undergarments. The suit is considered one of the more reliable and less expensive suits. So there's the bottom range. However, I probably wouldn't suggest it for tech diving. It is pretty great in the 7 degree Celsius (45 degree Fahrenheit) waters of Vancouver Island.

The cheapest tech suit that I see right now is Hog Predator Dry Suit discounts on sale HOG. I see many tech divers lauding the DUI suits, which go around $2000 to $3000 plus shipping. The White's Fusion is another really great suit for around $2500 with a bullet skin. Basically, it's a bilam layer, with a tough skin over it for durability (i.e., the tough skin will prevent any damage to the bilam part of the suit). It allows a lot of flexibility for movement. Bare makes a trilam suit that is around $2000.

I'd recommend a trilam shell suit or the White's Fusion with bullet skin for durability. A compressed neoprene suit would also help in durability, but I have little experience with neoprene suits. DUI does make the FLX 50/50, which has a trilam top and a crushed neoprene bottom.

I'm sure these suits will perform well in warm water, though there is a chance of being too hot. With a shell suit, though, you could just wear very thin undergarments.

Hello ScubaBoard,
I currently only dive wet (with a 2.5 mm. wetsuit) as most of the diving I had done was in warm tropical waters. But for my future diving plans, I am planning to move into technical diving, where I know the dives will be deeper, and most likely also longer. I also hope to extend the range of my diving to temperate and possibly cold water; there are also the benefits what I hear about diving dry even for warm water recreational diving.

My question is about drysuits; what is the range of prices available for a suit that can fit my needs for long, deep tech diving in warm water and possibly for very cold water diving. Some manufacturers have a made to fit option for their drysuits; is this also preferable to a pre-made suit?

:confused::confused:

Thank you!! :D:D

Well, first to answer your question about the made-to-measure suit ... almost any brand or model can be custom made to your measurements for $200-$300 USD addtional over the base price. The question is whether or not you need it. If you have a "standard" size body the answer is no ... an off the rack suit works for most people. And if you get a made-to-measure suit, do yourself a favor and get the measurements done twice ... by two different people. Measurements are not an exact science, and often dive shop employees get something wrong. The only time I got a made-to-measure suit on just one set of measurements I got the measurements done by the manufacturer's rep ... who has measured hundreds, if not thousands, of people for these suits and knows exactly how to do it right. That turned out to be the best fitting suit I've ever owned.

If you're going tech, then I'd recommend a sturdy trilaminate or crushed neoprene suit ... particularly for diving inside wrecks or caves. You're also going to want to pay particular attention to undergarment, since a drysuit flood on a dive where you're looking at a prolonged exit or mandatory decompression can be serious business if your undergarment doesn't keep you warm when wet. A good thinsulate undergarment or something like a Weezle Extreme ... which will insulate even when wet ... are what you want for tech diving. For diving in cold water, consider getting drygloves ... several good options to choose from, depending on the type of suit and personal preferences. And choose a well-fitted hood ... you lose a lot of heat from your head, so hood choice is important.

I won't make any specific recommendations for drysuit choices ... there are just too many out there, and choices will depend on your price range, your preferences, and what's available in your local area. I will recommend you stay away from full-neo suits, as compression makes them much less desireable at depth for the tech diver. Some brands I've had good experiences with ... DUI TLS350, Santi eSpace, Bare Tech-Dry. Someone will be along to recommend the Whites Fusion ... I didn't particularly like mine, but I think it's more a matter of preference than suitability ... a lot of people love them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it's pretty hard to find a new dry suit for under $1000, and it's quite possible to spend more than $3000 for one, if you get a custom cut and a lot of options.

Lower cost suits are made of less expensive materials (bilaminate or full neoprene, as opposed to trilaminate or compressed neo), are usually made with a simpler cut (which reduces labor time and cost) and come with fewer options (no pockets, for example).

High end suits are tailored and often come with attractive options for colors, or with stretch or breathable fabric, user-replaceable seals, and the like.

If you are unsure about how much dry suit diving you will be doing, either a less expensive new suit, or a used suit may be a good option. Used suits often sell for very reasonable prices, and if they are functional, or need only simple repairs like new seals, they can be an extremely good buy. If they are beat up or the fabric is failing (as laminate fabrics eventually do) they are no bargain at all.

The price is anywhere from $1000 and up. Bare has the Nex Gen suit for 1000 it is a good suit but I recomend the Bare SB System. You have a life time warrenty on the Bare Dry Suits. The SB System you can use in warm water and cold water. All you need to do is layer under the suit. By far the best Dry Suit on the Market. We have them if you want one

You may find a neoprene suit a bit warm for Taiwan waters (70-70F when I was there) so recommend a shell style. That way your undergarments can be varied to match the conditions.

The price is anywhere from $1000 and up. Bare has the Nex Gen suit for 1000 it is a good suit but I recomend the Bare SB System. You have a life time warrenty on the Bare Dry Suits. The SB System you can use in warm water and cold water. All you need to do is layer under the suit. By far the best Dry Suit on the Market. We have them if you want one

Here is a thread that went on for a year. New Bare SB
You will need two good thigh pockets.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

Here is a thread that went on for a year. New Bare SB
You will need two good thigh pockets which cannot be attached to the SB system.

There are plenty of used dry suites out there and the prices are low. You have to take your time to find the right one (right size, no too old), but when you do, you can save a bundle. I purchased a top shelf DUI that was slight used (maybe 10 dives) with all the goodies (fins, weight harness, p-valve, double pockets, spare zip seals, carrying case, etc...) for $800.

Back
Top Bottom